When do potato plants flower?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Louise, May 22, 2010.

1. Louise

Louise Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    My Belle de fontenay (earlies )potato plants which I planted in dustbins in march with lots of manure are now very very leafy and look quite healthy to me.
    I haven't seen them flower and i am not sure when they should but I looked at the today and I am not sure if they have tried to flower and have haven't quite made it.
    When should they flower and is it a bad sign if they dont?

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,384
    Some flower and some just form flower buds that drop off.

Not sure why some should not manage to flower, but I guess its in the breeding.

3. Louise

Louise Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    That's alright then as long as it's nothing serious. When do you think they will be ready?

4. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Depends which type they are - there's early crop, summer crop, late crop - so on and so on! You get the time of the crop from the type. Then around that time, just plunge your hand in and see what you get! Bit like a lucky dip!

5. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +45,648
    Louise, gently scrape some of the soil away around the stem until you start finding the tubers, usually the biggest ones are on top. I've just done that with my early spuds which I planted about the same time as yoy and mine are ready - I haven't pulled them up yet, I'll wiat till the last minute and we will eat them practically straight away - yum!

As pete said potatoes don't always flower.

6. SarahGoodie

SarahGoodie Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have first earlies in at the mo and the leaves and stems look very large, strong and healthy. The packet said they were the Duke of York variety and would be ready to harvest in June/July so I'm not panicking yet that I have no flowers. I grew some potatoes last year which turned out ok and did flower at some point.

7. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    Hi. I planted mine(earlies) in mid April. I don't expect them to flower/be ready until sometime in July.

Cheers...freddy.

8. Louise

Louise Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks for the replies.

I have noticed this week that there are now some flowers developing , though still in their buds at the moment. I have had a bit of a feel around in one of the bins but couldn't feel much , so I will leave well alone for a bit longer.

9. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    Hi again. I just noticed that mine too are showing flower. Much earlier than normal, and I'm wondering, could it be the recent hot weather ?

Cheers...freddy.