1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

When is the best time to plant some bulbs

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by Paul Blackburn, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Paul Blackburn

Paul Blackburn Gardener

Ratings:
    +52
    I would like to plant some Iris bulbs in a spare area at the bottom of the garden that has all been prepared.I have bought some Iris bulbs and wondered when would the best time be to plant them.Also planted lots of various bulbs in containers and most are now shooting again but there are one or two missing could I replace these at the same time as planting the Iris bulbs

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • KFF

KFF Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +5,890
      Hi Paul, I presume you mean either Dutch Iris or Iris Hollandica ( the more modern type ) . These are the types you see everywhere as cut flowers throughout the year.
      They are perfectly hardy so can be planted anytime now, however ( I don't know where you live ) don't plant them if there's any risk of the ground freezing.

They like to be in a sunny position in a well drained soil so they don't rot in the Winter.

One of the best things with these Iris is that you can stagger their planting ( say at fortnightly or monthly intervals ) throughout the next 4 or 5 months and get an extended flowering season ( bear in mind though that in subsequent years they'll all fiower at the same time.... roughly May through to end of June ).

As to missing bulbs being replanted now you're better off waiting another month or so untill they're available to buy in little pots and then just plant them out into any gaps.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • BeeHappy

BeeHappy Total Gardener

Mother Nature's Garden Apprentice
        Ratings:
        +6,133
        • Like Like x 1
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +31,885
          I planted some Dutch Iris bulbs around this time last year and they, very kindly, flowered for me a few months later. As did the Dahlia tubers I planted at the same time, despite warnings that they shouldn't be planted until after the last frost. However - I must stipulate I am in the SE of England, so it tends to be a little milder.
          I planted some more Dutch Iris bulbs last Autumn; the are now looking tall, green and very promising. I'm optimistic for flowers in the next couple of months.
          I have some Flag Iris, which I got from @shiney a couple of years ago (probably 2015?) and planted at the end of May/beginning of June (when I bought them). 2016 they flowered well. They were left in the ground and by 2017 seem to have doubled in spread and put on a fabulous show. This year promises to be an even better "show".
          Regarding your variety of bulbs in containers: if you have some "missing", have you considered something, other than bulbs, which would give those containers more of a year-round interest? It could be as simple as planting some decorative ivy in the "missing" parts. Or, if you wanted to go the bulb/corm/tuber route, perhaps you could consider a summer flowering bulb (e.g. gladioli?) to give another shot of colour at a different time of year?

• Like Like x 1