1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

When to harvest potatoes.

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by GYO newbie, May 19, 2015.

1. GYO newbie

GYO newbie Gardener

Ratings:
    +178
    My potatoes are coming on nicely. I am earthing up most days. Can I leave the potatoes in the grow sacks until I want them or do I have to harvest once flowers have died off?

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    If you want to eat them as new potatoes then get the water on the boil and some mint and butter ready before you lift them.

Otherwise leave them 2 weeks after the haulms have dropped so the skins harden for storage :)

3. Rob Miller

Rob Miller Gardener

Student
    Ratings:
    +25
    Im having to earth up nearly every day too. First time I've grown them and I'm surprised at how quick they are once they get going!

What variety are you growing? I'm doing Pentland Javelin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. GYO newbie

GYO newbie Gardener

Ratings:
    +178
    Thanks Zigs.

Rob - this is was I have planted and when. Like you never grown potatoes before - in fact this is the first year I have planted sown anything.

Pentland Javelin sown 14/03/15 & 28/03/15. First early.
    Nicola sown 21/04/15. Second early.
    Rocket sown 4/05/15. First early.
    Desiree sown 4/05/15. Main crop.
    Maris Peer sown 16/04/15. Second early.

A bit concerned that everything is coming together at once. The first bag of Pentland Javelin haven't flowered but the leaves are lush and lots of them. The second bag isn't far behind. The Nicola and Rocket are only about 4 - 5 days of reaching the top of the bags and no more earthing up possible.

Ruddy good job we like potatoes - although there are only two of us.

• Like Like x 1
    • kazzawazza

kazzawazza Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,858
      We just dig up what we want out of the bags as and when. Sometimes they are in there weeks in between without any problems. In fact last weekend I emptied last years compost out of one bag and there were a couple of large new potatoes at the bottom, still fresh. You can also dig them up and store them, but have never tried it. I harvest second earlies in around 16/17 weeks ish.

• GYO newbie

GYO newbie Gardener

Ratings:
      +178