1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

When to lift and divide snowdrops

Discussion in 'Propagation This Month' started by Sian in Belgium, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +9,233
    I have numerous different varieties of snowdrops, with some flowering from gathered seed. This means that some came into flower at the end of December, whilst others are only coming into their own now....

So, to those experienced in division, how long after the flowers have finished do you lift and divide clumps of snowdrops “in the green”?
    - when the flowers go over?
    - when the browning petals fall off?
    - after the petals have gone, and the seed heads have swollen?
    - when the seed heads are bent down and touching the soil?

They are one of my favourite flowers, so I want to increase their numbers as fast as possible...

I'm also planning on trying to increase my tête-à-tête daffodils in a similar manner - it’s just so much easier to do when you can see all the bulb-growth and planting in established beds. Has anyone any experience of doing this?

2. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,986
    Any time when the ground is not frozen is ok. Best practice is when the leaves have gone over completely, but not always possible. I have just split some clumps this morning.
    Same for Narcissus.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • flounder

flounder Super Gardener

RETIRED!!
      Ratings:
      +1,656
      Snowdrops divided ok when in the green, as in with leaves still growing, so as palustris said anytime when grounds not frozen

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +9,233
        Well, the sunshine beckoned outside, and the large clumps of snowdrops have been lifted and replanted within about 30 mins of coming out of the ground, so they should not have dried out. About to go around and water them in, as we have no rain forecast for the next 5 days...

• Agree Agree x 1