1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

When to mow lawn after overseeding?

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by saint_david, Apr 10, 2011.

1. saint_david

saint_david Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I've made it my mission to improve the neglected lawn at our fairly new build mid-terrace house this year.

I scarified our 'postage stamp' lawn a couple of weeks ago and followed up by overseeding and adding fertilizer.

A long strip of lawn which is always in the shade along the base of a garden fence ended up as a bare muddy strip after scarification as it was basically just moss. I made sure this area got plenty of seed which although still looking bare appears to have germinated (in places) and is showing signs of new life. There are still quite a few seeds lying on the surface of the mud that don't appear to be doing much though. I was thinking about scattering a fine layer of soil on top to see if it will aid their germination - good idea or not?

The rest of the lawn has grown considerably and I really want to mow it. Is it too early to mow after overseeding it only a couple of weeks ago? Patience isn't my strong point and I don't want to jump the gun and undo any hard work! Hope someone can help :)

edit: Adding a few pictures if it helps. I know the rest of the lawn is far from perfect but its a work in progress!

The Garden

[​IMG]

Muddy Strip

[​IMG]

New Shoots

[​IMG]

Rest of the lawn up close

[​IMG]

2. pip

pip Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    Hi there, I would cut the grass when the new stuff gets to about 5/6 cms high, only take off top third at any time. A light covering of topsoil will sort out the uncovered seeds. I usually cover with a piece of plastic sheet to speed up germination.

• Like Like x 1
    • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,667
      I wonder if over-seeding (next year / this Autumn) with shade tolerant variety along the North side of the fence would help?

• ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,836
      I think Kristen's "wondering" about using grass seed for shady lawns is a good one. I've used that type of grass seed this Spring, not Autumn, on various parts of my lawn after raking it. It always seems slow to germinate, or is it me being impatient?, but I do find that by giving the seed a light covering of JI No.2 it does help to speed things up.

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,667
      "It always seems slow to germinate, or is it me being impatient?"

No, you're not impatient, that is indeed the case. I think it is partly because the grass seedlings are, initially, hard to see. All of a sudden it has grown enough that you can see a sort of green-hue - a bit like algae - and then a week later its transmogrified into proper grass!

• HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +16,246
      Hello Pip , just reading your advice for St_Davids lawn . I think a lot of us get a little frustrated on grasss seed germination time , it does seem erratic ( unless its on my driveway , where it is 100% ). I liked your tip on placing a plastic sheet over the reseeding patch. Do you lie it on flat or raise it up a smidgeon ?

• pip

pip Gardener

Ratings:
      +226
      Hi HarryS, I stick a few spikes (broken canes about 6 ins long) under the plastic to lift it off the ground. A few round the sides to hold it down, acts like a greenhouse and raises the temp and humidity thus speeding germination.

Another plus point is it keeps the birds off.