1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

When to repot young Choisya (Mexican Orange Blossom)?

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by rosebay, Jun 9, 2015.

1. rosebay

rosebay budding naturalistic gardener!

Full Time Person....OK, pensioner!
    Ratings:
    +1,162
    I know the traditional method to see if something needs repotting is to turf it out of the pot and have a look, or to see if roots are growing out of the bottom hole. My choisya is in a substantially large, heavy terracotta pot so that would be a last resort. So I am trying to determine, by other means, if this plant needs repotting.

This year, the young
    Choisya (about 2 feet high with a few 'branches') is looking somewhat dwindled from what it was before....less growth, less bushy and less flowers. I have been feeding it Miraclegro (in spring) and also phosphorus when in flower.

The only (slight?) complication is that I have allowed oxeye daisies to naturally flower in the same pot (didn't plant them there). They are now as tall as the choisya plant..... but they would have small, shallow roots wouldn't they? (I am a naturalistic gardener).

I placed it in its current very large terracotta pot in 2009 (some 6 years ago) and made a note that there was 4" of soil below the base of the roots. Would it be needing repotting by now?

Given this info, is it likely that:-

(a) the lack of growth/flowers (despite feeds) indicates a need to repot?

(b) are the oxeye daisies (of which there are many...all around it) likely to be disadvanatageous to the choisya? I would submit a photo of the choisya but it is somewhat hidden now by surrounding daisies.

(c) I didn't protect this fairly large plant during winter months (I upturned the bottom saucer and stood it on this)....should I have done so? Would that account for the dwindled current situation?

2. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    Hi rosebay, well, it's true to say that the Oxeye Daisies won't be helping the Choisya as they will be taking some nutrients from the compost of the container.

I think the Choisya is telling you that by it's appearance, Rosebay.:doh::heehee: There is another thing, which I am sure other members might disagree with, but Choisya is really a big Shrub that can naturally get up to 8' or more in height and the same in width so it's not, in my opinion, an ideal container plant.......young or not. It's probably not grown well due to restriction of root growth, dare I say it, despite having been fed with fertilisers etc, the compost is somewhat impoverished and that's affecting the plant. I've got a feeling that the Choisya would be a lot happier in the ground where it would surprise you with it's sudden growth and appearance.:coffee::snork:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • rosebay

Ratings:
      +1,162
      Ah thanks for your post. Hmm...so now it becomes a problem since I don't really have anywhere to put it i.e. in the ground (for it to spread as it should).

I think I will bag it up and take it to the recycling depot for someone to claim it there. I did this recently with a young ash tree that I found suddenly sprouting up (in a problematic space) and was pleased to see someone had taken it!

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +31,885
        I agree because ... I have one trying to achieve just that!! :doh: It needs a Chelsea chop now the flowers are falling but ... now a clematis is growing through it I still can't give it a hair cut :heehee:
        Never knew they could be such big boys until I moved here and saw this one.

• Like Like x 1
        • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +31,885
          It's not too late to prune it @rosebay (late Spring/early Summer) you don't have to take it to the recycling centre. You can cut it back quite hard.

• rosebay

Ratings:
          +1,162
          OK...I think the problem is likely to be more about repotting though (given it has been in the same pot for 6 years).

If the roots are not too big, I think I may be able to transfer it to the front garden in a spot that used to have a rosebush (killed/bleachsprayed by a demented neighbour). I am still trying to saw off the last remnants of it....not sure how long the soil takes to recover from what she did but some small plants are springing up around that space.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
            Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
          • ARMANDII

Ratings:
            +100,836
            I agree with you about that, Rosebay:coffee::snork: Trying to grow such a potentially large shrub in a container is always going to be struggle due to it needing to be fed constantly in the growing season, the effects of root restriction, the deterioration of the compost, watering, etc.:dunno::coffee:

If you could manage to freshen up the hole, with compost, into which the Choisya might go that would help greatly. Also, you could trim the outside roots, but not the main ones, and then keep it water well for a fortnight or so. Let us know which way you go with this and how you get on.:thumbsup::snork:

• rosebay

Ratings:
              +1,162
              I have some commercial horse manure (i.e. in a bag). Would that be preferable to compost in the hole?

• Agree Agree x 1
              • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                +100,836
                Yep, that would do, Rosebay:thumbsup::snork:. Just mix it in with the soil when you're planting:coffee::snork:

• Like Like x 1