1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

when to start seeds??

Discussion in 'Propagation This Month' started by Folly Mon, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Folly Mon

Folly Mon GC Official Counselor

starting new busniss in new year
    Ratings:
    +2,409
    When Should i Start Planting seeds to put in Green house?? I Have Got a Heater Parrfin Type ive also bought a :cool: Brass Tap in the Shape of A Bird I Am Going to Fit it in to an Oak Barrel to make a water butt :WINK1: i have got 2 of these Barrels so will proberly bye another Tap and make 2 of :D as i have only used them as Decorative around the garden and used the tops to put fresh water on for the birds!!! DONT PANIC REPLACING WITH 2 STONE BIRD BATHS :WINK1: :heehee: Got a Right Haven of Birds :thumbsup: and want to keep it that way :WINK1: we do get some Cats but Nelly My Blue Staff is Queen of her Garden :loll: :WINK1:

2. kyleleonard

kyleleonard Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +950
    • Like Like x 3
    • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
      +19,595
      Except for seeds that need stratification (many hardy perennials) I wouldnt be doing seeds yet. Its not just about keeping them warm, which it sounds like you can do with your heated greenhouse. They need enough light too, otherwise they'll either grow too tall too fast and collapse under their own weight, or be attacked by fungi.

Don't be tricked by the unseasonably warm weather. We've had some lovely days of late, but nothing can change the fact that its january, and there just isn't enough energy in the sun yet, and even if there was, its not for enough hours (up here we're getting about 8 hours between sunrise and sunset, factoring in shadows from houses, the sunny side is getting about 5 hours, the back is gatting about 3 hours - not enough).

• Like Like x 1
      • Folly Mon

Ratings:
        +2,409
        WOW Nice 1 Kyle :dbgrtmb: :love30: it Thank You

• Like Like x 1
        • Folly Mon

Ratings:
          +2,409
          thanks for that clueless grate info :thumbsup: :dbgrtmb: Thank you

• longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +23,089
          Folly mon - what seeds are you sowing? As Clueless touched upon, there are a surprising number that appreciate/need a period of cold stratification and these could be sown now and placed in the fridge. I have recently placed some Mecanopsis in the fridge and they will be there until the end of February, which would fit in nicely with lots of other things which do not need stratifying.

On a wee downer, I'm not sure that a paraffin heater is the best for seedlings..........