1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Whens everyone planting out their Sweetcorn?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Adam Moran, May 21, 2009.

1. Adam Moran

Adam Moran Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    As title really?

Mine are geting on for 20cm tall now...

Adam

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    :wink: Mine are in a sheltered sunny spot but I planted mine out a couple of weeks ago... :wink:

3. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    After last frost - on 1st June I'll look at the 7 day forecast and take a view.

I planted some WAY too early, and they have been out a couple of weeks, but I have resown in case of late frosts - we have frost prediction for Saturday :(

4. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    :wink: I keep an eye on the weather too Kristin & I have a fleece frame I chuck over them if frost is forecast...

5. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    Mine were planted out last week Adam.

I planted the seed a bit too early and hadn't counted on how quickly they would grow in the conservatory. They were 3' high and getting bigger every day.

I've put a fleece tent round them and they seem to be fine. I just hope I'm lucky with the weather. I would hate to loose them now.

6. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    I must definitely be behind-because mine haven't even germinated yet!! As soon as they are big enough going by this thread.

7. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    They shouldn't take long Claire (mine were up in 4 days) ... modern super-sweet varieties prone to rotting, so might be worth having a "poke" to make sure they are still OK. Not too late to sow replacements, if that becomes necessary.

I have a bit in my blog about Sweetcorn Crop Notes – Chitting, Paper Pots, Greenhouse trial which you are welcome to have a laugh at!