1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Where Can I Buy Blackcurrants From?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Jungle Jane, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Jungle Jane

Jungle Jane Middle Class Twit Of The Year 2005

Local Nutcase
    Ratings:
    +3,225
    I wanted to make my father in law some blackcurrant jam as a thank you for his help recently. I could just go and buy a pot of jam but thought I would attempt to make some instead. But I've looked at every single shop, grocers and online supermarket and cant seem to get hold of them anywhere around here.

This doesn't make sense to me as they should have been in season in late summer.

Can anyone help please? I don't really have room to grow them and only really want to make a one off purchase of them.

2. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +21,666
    Morrisons do them, nearly all nurseries I've ever been in or mail order... Surprised you're having trouble finding some!

Ah. You mean the fruit don't you? Any farm shops near by?

3. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
  4. "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +31,885
    My blackcurrants finished fruiting about a month ago, Jane. Have you tried looking for frozen blackcurrants?

5. Jungle Jane

Jungle Jane Middle Class Twit Of The Year 2005

Local Nutcase
    Ratings:
    +3,225
    I tried my local Morrisons and couldn't find any at all. Mind you it was a small supermarket. Perhaps I should try a larger one then.

We don't have a Waitrose for miles and miles. It's probably not worth them opening stores here in Essex

I haven't. But would frozen ones be good enough for jam making I wonder?