1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Where do I start?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Paula, Feb 6, 2005.

1. Paula

Paula Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    :confused: Im am a complete fool when it comes to gardening, can manage to cut grass and a bit of weeding, I have decided this year to make it look a bit better and im not sure where to start, im so glad I discovered this site as I was serching for some answers hopefully you lot can help?
    My main problem is a long weed with thornes on it(think its a weed) told you I was useless! but its everwhere and the roots are really hard to find and when I do they are really difficult to pull out. It is scattered all around my borders and it drove me mad last yr, Any help on how to get rid and what it is would really help.
    Also what should I be doing this time of year in the garden apart from weeding, should I be cutting things back, Have a few shrubs one which flowers yellow at the end of June that looks brown now, should I chop it down and if so will it regrow? My grass looks like wild grass, what shall I do, like I said when and where should I start. Please help.

;)

2. Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Are you able to post any pictures on here, so we can identify your plants/weeds easier.

To post pics. go to www.tinypic.com , upload your pics (one at a time) and copy the IMG tag on the bottom (once pic is uploaded) onto this ite, hey presto !

thanks

Nathan.

3. Paula

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Nathen,
    Thanks I will sort some pictures out and post them,
    Ive just passed the site name onto my sister in law down south she is a keen Gardener, her garden is lovely. So hopfully you will have a new useful
    member. (unlike me)
    Thanks again I will be in touch soon. [​IMG]

4. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Sounds like it could maybe be a brambles?

A sort of wild blackberry or a culivated one gone wild

They can be a pain because they can root wherever the stem touches the soil, I have just finished clearing an allotment that had some in and it was a bit of a long way round it but I kept snipping them off at soil level and removing the top growth every few feet..there was some good bramble and brushwood killers on the market until the Brussells loonies started banning everything so I am not sure if there is a chemical you can spray on, but even so you would still have to remove them when dead

5. Paula

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks SteveW
    My Mum metioned somthing about blackberry last summer now you mention it you could be right, I have been doing the same snipping off a soil level, but a few weeks later they are back :(
    I will look out for somthing to get rid once and for all.

Cheers

6. learner

learner Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    how do you grow busy lizzies from last years seeds

7. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,030
    Hi learner
    The simple answer is dont bother, the plants were probably hybrids which means the plants you get this year will not resemble last years.
    However if you want to try:- Scatter the seeds on the surface of compost lightly firmed in a seed tray,cover lightly. They will need a temp of 20-25 deg to germinate
    pete