1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Where does our gardening influence's come from.

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Ian Taylor, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Ian Taylor

Ian Taylor Total Gardener

Maintenance Manager, Oddfellows on the Park.
    Ratings:
    +2,751
    Not sure if this has been done before.

Has must people know on here I'm Clematis mad, but I've recently strarted getting back into Fuchsia's.
    My late Father grow both, could I be influenced that way.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Super Lucyjin

Super Lucyjin dinnae fash yersel

Ratings:
      +353
      My gardens are still a work in progress, but apart from a couple of exceptions, the influences and additions I'm putting into them are all strongly based on nostalgia and fond memories.

• Fuchsias, from memories of the lovely hedge of them my grandmother kept outside her Glasgow tenement flat.
      • Forsythia, cotoneaster horizontalis, buddleia, clematis, berberis darwinii, poppies, crocosmia.. all things I loved from my mother's family gardens I grew up playing in.
      I "got lucky" in that a couple of things I would have put into the garden (clematis, fuchsia and berberis darwinii) were already mature and growing there! The other things I'm adding gradually as I start piecing the gardens together.

I actually still have poppy seeds from Mum's garden where the poppies self-seeded and cross-bred with each other into wild and fantastic colour variations, but I'm not sure if they'll grow because they're quite old now.. I hope they do. If not, I'll just have to start my own poppy dynasty!

• Like Like x 2
      • WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +5,089
        No influences I can think of except some travels where I must have gotten my interest in growing palms, bamboos and other hardyish exotics. This then spilled into digging a fairly large pond with its bogplants and associated wildlife.
        Still have too much lawn but replacing it with beds would take too much maintenance so lawn and palms it is. :coffee:

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +85,630
        Cant think I was really influenced by memories apart from growing veg, which my dad did when I was a kid.
        Sort of moved on from veg, but still grow some.

Now my main interests are half hardy and exotic looking plants, mainly at first from books, later from seeing them grow in habitat.

Must admit the enthusiasm is not what it was, mainly because of time, and age.:biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
        • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
          Ratings:
          +118,315
          The only influence I can think of with regard to our gardening is Chaos Theory! :rolleyespink: :)

No influence (well, not much) from us but mainly from what happened to be available or from what arrived naturally (seeds brought in by birds, wind, animals etc.). They're allowed to stay unless they get out of hand or we need more space for something else.

The only organised part is the veg garden and the lawn edges.

• wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
          Ratings:
          +89,787
          My influence for Roses came from my Grandfather and then my Dad both head gardeners at the big house and then I followed on at Cobham Hall in the Queen Elizabeth Rose gardens,those were the days:heehee:

• Like Like x 4
          • Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
            +2,830
            Interesting idea Ian. Last year I was fortunate enough to be able to design and plant a courtyard garden. I decided to go for a Mediterranean theme as it is fairly sheltered and sunny in southern England. We worked hard to transform the soil and drainage. I chose Med style plants; grey foliage, alliums, cistus, poppies, lavender, sedums, euphorbias, etc and even a myrtle. I wanted an almond but settled for a cherry for practical/hardiness reasons as the centrepiece. It is wonderful and I realised afterwards that I had recreated / made in miniature my grandmother's real Mediterranean garden that I had known and loved as a child.......so without realising it I was creating a garden which is of great personal significance and realised that subconsciously how much influence my grandmothers garden had on me.

• Like Like x 2
            • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
              +28,997
              Think it has, but if so then some time ago and lots of new members since then.

We were all encouraged to have an interest in gardening by our Father (who's first actions on moving out of London was to get a greenhouse, Apple tree and cold frames for the garden), but I was the one who really took to grubbing around in the dirt, digging holes and pushing a fork though their foot (fortunately between my toes) and had my own little flower/veggie plot when I was 5.

His great passions were Tomatoes and Chrysanthemums (no interest in the latter), but I grow hundreds of tomatoes and dozens of varieties, and still remember tapping terracotta pots to check whether they required watering, side shooting, tying up, and picking duties (told off if no calyx attached!).

And I've solved the problem with what to do with excess apples, he only had 1 tree and we struggled to eat them all, I have about 20 trees and press/pasteurise/ferment the juice, plus pasteurise/dehydrate tomatoes.

• Like Like x 2
              • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
                Ratings:
                +21,250
                An interest in vegetables came initially from my mother's oft repeated "If you can't eat it why grow it".
                Other than that Christopher Lloyd's books, Gardeners Question Time, Plant and Planet by Anthony Huxley have influenced my choice of plants.

• Like Like x 1
                • Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
                  +0
                  Hi Ian,

It's funny you starting this thread off now as my mom and me were talking about this the other day.

My favourites are Fuchsias ( no surprise there then :) ), of which my
                  nan and grandad had 2 massive ones, and the others are ones that I remember my nan and grandad growing, Carnations, Pinks, species Lilies such as Tigers and Paeonys.

• Like Like x 1
                  • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +14,295
                    My Dad:) We lived on Kettering loam and any twig stuck in the ground took root, so he built me a miniature garden on the end of the kitchen, with a lovely wooden house and a decent depth of soil laid on plastic sheet. Pottered for hours as a kid.... Then Christopher Lloyd's books, Beth Chatto, RHS, anyone's books.....(except Joe Swift!).
                    It was a given that when I met OH I'd transform his sad garden:psnp:

• Like Like x 1
                    • Carllennon

Carllennon Gardener

Techie
                      Ratings:
                      +246
                      My mum, she cant work so was home all the time when I was growing up, and always use to be in the garden(and still does) So I think I got my garden interest from her, plus I share loads more stuff in common with my mum.

I do like to have my own time too and gardening is a thing to do on my own with my own thoughts in the sunshine.

• Like Like x 1
                      • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
                        At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
                        Ratings:
                        +49,477
                        Mine is very, very mixed; my grandfather was a keen gardener and was considered very lucky in his day that he had a 'corner house' which meant that he had a front, side and back garden of a fairly good size.

The back was the shady part with the shed, the apple tree and a wee lawn for sitting out, then the side had a veggie plot and greenhouse at the back, with a rockery over by the outer edge (my love of Snow In Summer [Cerastium Tomentosum] comes from this), and then toward the front was another wee lawn dotted with borders growing such things as peonies, roses, hydrangeas etc;

The very front was a mix of lawn, borders and raised beds with everything from Lily of The Valley to Begonias, Geraniums etc.

My mum picks up the gauntlet from there - petunias/surfinia, and lavetera (I called them toilet trees when I was a kid :biggrin:), and fuchsias are her favourites. Back then though, I still wasn't interested in the least - - my favourite plant was the black one called tarmac.

As I got older, I lived in a flat and had no garden; then we moved into a house with a front and a back garden, and for me it started not out of interest, but out of duty. We rent, and our philosophy is that we should take as much care and pride in a home that we rent that we would in one that we owned. With that in mind, I felt I had to keep the garden in nice order.

It started by building a wall to sort out an unsightly area and at the same time created a border which was then followed up with planting out, and then sorting the front garden and the interest was sparked....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

][​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then, we moved to our current home:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And around the same time, I found GC

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And now, four years after joining GC, I think it is fair to say that I class myself as a bit of a gardener.......

• Like Like x 6
                        • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                          Ratings:
                          +118,315
                          @fat controller Your house looks exactly like the house we used to live in. :blue thumb:

Cost us £5,200 in 1965 (apparently the equivalent of about £75,000 now :rolleyespink:) and a similar one was for sale recently at £300,000 :doh:

Mortgage interest rates were about 6.5% and gradually rose to 8% in 1972 - then it jumped to 11.2% overnight in 1973 :yikes:

• Like Like x 1
                          • CharlieBot

CharlieBot Super Gardener

Ratings:
                            +2,523
                            For me it definitely comes from my grandad on my mum's side, he was a very keen gardener with 2 allotments as well. I spent many days in my summer holidays watching and helping him.
                            Sadly he was not around to see when my interest reemerged and we got our first garden. I like to think he'd approve though.

• Like Like x 3