1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Where to buy kale?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by LindsayH, Jul 17, 2014.

1. LindsayH

LindsayH Gardener

Veterinary nurse.
    Ratings:
    +132
    Sorry, very boring thread. I'd like to buy some kale plants as mine didn't germinate. I've never bought vegetable plants online before, can anyone recommend a good place to buy them from? My garden centre looked at me like I'd gone mad when I asked them for some.

2. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +21,328
    @LindsayH
    Any of the big seed companies, Dobies, Marshalls, Suttons, T&M, Unwins etc all sell vegetable plants these days. You might be too late but it's worth a look. I've had a similar problem with leeks this year and need to find some plants at the weekend.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Mine haven't germinated either, going to do another sowing.

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,667
      I only buy failed vegetable plant germination replacements face-to-face now. I bought some vegetable plants online from one of the big seed companies a few years ago. There was a 6 week delay and what I received were seedlings that I could have grown myself, and were far too small/late to be any use (no idea how the company, and garden centres, have the cheek to sell plants that are "too little too late"??)

• LindsayH

LindsayH Gardener

Veterinary nurse.
      Ratings:
      +132
      Thanks all, my germination rates have been SHOCKING this year.

Kristen, those are exactly my concerns about buying veg plants online. Unfortunately I don't think there is anywhere near me to buy them. My garden centre said "we don't have any call for kale plants and anyway, it's far too late to plant them out." I did point out that last year I grew my own and planted them out about now, with fantastic results!

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,667
      I would suggest you contact them and ask them how big etc. the plants are that they are selling, and IF they actually have them ready for despatch NOW !!

• Like Like x 1
      • Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
        Ratings:
        +3,699
        I would just multi-sow Lindsay, some in a pot, some in a tray, some direct in the ground....

Steve...:)