Where to buy pond plants?

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by Lowey, Mar 19, 2021.

1. Lowey

Lowey Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Hey all,

As the title really. I made myself a small wildlife garden last September and put a couple of plants in (common Reed, Dutch rush, needle spike) and some bunches of oxygenators. Soon enough common Reed died off, and the Dutch rush and needle spike are pretty much as they were delivered. I also put some moss around the edge of the pond to soften it but I worry that I’ve just added more organic matter which is not helping the algae problem.

Anyways, I digress, I would like to add a fair few more plants to help control algae growth. It wrapped itself all around my oxygenator bunches so I have had to remove them.

I was hoping for recommendations on plants but more specifically, a reputable place where I can buy them online?

Attached is a picture of my pond as it stands...in all it’s nakedness looking pretty sorry for itself.

Attached Files:

2. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +13,962
    Hello Lowey, I'd suggest getting a smallish variety of waterlily, as their leaves shade out sunlight and help to clear the water. BUT...they hate moving water and being splashed, so the fountain would be a no-no. Water hawthorn, Aponogeton, is well-behaved and serves the same purpose. What about Iris ensata for one of the marginal plants? Good upright foliage and stunning flowers.
    Some of the Carexes do well with their toes in water.
    Can't begin to recommend a UK water plant nursery, but if you indicate your area in your profile, I'm sure there'll be some helpful GC members along shortly :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +84,361
      Just go along to your local garden centre or nursery.
      Support your local people, they are having a hard time.

Pond plants tend to be a bit behind garden plants so I would wait a couple of months yet.

• Like Like x 1
      • pattie

pattie Gardener

retired
        Ratings:
        +502
        Hi Lowey.
        I have used this site
        Buy Pond Plants Online - Puddleplants for my pond plants. They are very good value, quality plants at a good price.
        Do you have any neighbours with ponds? Always worth asking if they have plants they could split and share with you.Pete's suggestion of local nurseries and Garden Centres is also worth trying later in the season.
        A lovely idea, having a pond for wildlife. Good luck with yours.

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,184
        Don't give up on the plants you got last September, they might surprise you and start putting on new growth as the weather warms up.

As said, keep an eye / look around your local garden centers or aquatic shops for whn their stock arrives; online is always a bit of a gamble, just check the suppliers Positive Feedback ratings.
        Don't leave it too long as lots of other folk are doing ponds with the lockdowns.