Where to buy succulent plugs ?

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by Monty33, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Monty33

Monty33 Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I would really like to recreate this succulent art but I need to get a wide range of different types without spending a fortune on mature plants.
    succulent.jpg

Does anyone have any recommendations of a company which sells a variety of plugs ?

2. longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +23,089
    Have you got a larger picture? It's a job to make out what is in there. At a guess from what I can make out there is Opuntia (pretty slow growing), Echeveria (slow to very fast growing depending on species), Crassula (I have no experience), various Aloe (again, slow to fast depending), what looks like Mammilaria and several others that I can't identify. My point is that they have different growth habits, so some you could use plugs for but others will need to be mature plants.
    If you look on Ebay.com (the .com bit is important) there is a company in Germany that I found once who may be your best bet. Sadly I didn't save them.

3. Monty33

Monty33 Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    The picture is only to aid my description, doesn't have to exactly replicate this one.

I certainly was planning to use echeveria, sempervivens, sedum and aloe.

I have found numerous american sites selling collections like the one below but as of yet I'm struggling to find a UK equivalent.
    Succulent.jpg

4. longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +23,089
    Do you intend to grow this indoors, outdoors or in a greenhouse?

5. Monty33

Monty33 Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    The plan was outdoors hanging on a sunny fence side??

This is another bigger picture of a similar idea.
    Succulent.jpg

6. longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +23,089
  7. Monty33

Monty33 Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    South of England, why ?

8. longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +23,089
    You will probably struggle to keep the Echeveria alive in anything other than the mildest of winters. Even then, it will only be a handful of species that will tolerate that. The same goes for the Aloe. So Ecveveria and Aloe that do survive will grow slowly (if at all) and will ultimately get swamped by the Sedum and Sempervivum.
    I'm a cheerful git aren't I!

By the way - it is useful to add your location to your avatar block on a gardening forum as it helps those who answer a question that you raise. I would be far more confident of your projects prospects if you were in central London say than other places.

9. Monty33

Monty33 Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I have added my location as suggested.

The information you provide is very useful, perhaps I would benefit from creating the entire image from one type of succulent eg Echeveria so that they grow at a similar rate ??

I assume as many people in the UK have Echeveria that I could overwinter it inside or inside a mini-greenhouse to protect it from the frost ??

10. longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +23,089
    Bear in mind that I'm a relative newcomer to succulents..............
    There are many species of Echeveria. Some grow rapidly, others more slowly, some hardly at all. E.pulvinata has a shrub like habit. Also different bloom times and hardiness. But maybe an indoor one of Crassula, Echeveria, Haworthia and Aloe? Outdoors Sempervivum, Sedum, and selected Aloe?

Yes and no. Some are hardier than others.

I'll have a look this week and see if I can sort out a few babies for you. PM me towards the end of the week.

11. Monty33

Monty33 Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    It can always be a continual work where larger pieces are removed and chicks from other plants added to the picture as and when it is needed.

I like your suggestions of indoor and outdoor versions with differing succulent types, gives me another project if nothing else.

I certainly didn't expect you to be sending me any babies but then again I wouldn't say no, can't promise to keep them alive mind you !! :psnp: