1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Where to buy veg plug plants?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Rosiemongrel, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Rosiemongrel

Rosiemongrel Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I know most of you on here are *proper* gardeners who grow their own veg from seed, plan ahead etc. I grew all my summer veg from seed, but have prepared nothing for the winter months (because I didn't plan!). As I have 3 raised beds, it would be sad if they were just left empty until May. So it has occurred to me that I might cheat a little and buy a medley of veg plug plants from somewhere, so that I can still have the pleasure of growing (and eating!) something. So, can anyone recommend specific suppliers or online nurseries whose plants have a good reputation? Ideally, I don't want to spend more than £30.

Also, do I need to give baby veg plants protection from the frost or are they designed to be OK with that? I have never grown winter veg, so i genuinely don't know if I can just leave them to get on with it or if I have to try and construct some kind of poly tunnel etc.

All suggestions much appreciated!!! :)

2. Fidgetsmum

Fidgetsmum Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +865
    All my local garden centres and DIY 'sheds' have boxes/trays of winter veg plants about 4" - 6" high ready to be planted out. Depending on what you choose of course the cost varies, but £2 - £3 for 6 plants seems about average, so you should be able to get plenty for your £30. Personally I'd just buy 'off the shelf' as it were, that way you see the quality of the plants then just take them home and plant them straight away. Spring cabbage etc., won't need frost protection but if in doubt, ask when you buy your plants.

3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,152
    I'm with Fidgetsmum, I've seen boxes/trays at B&Q etc, I can't say I've ever really noticed any online suppliers selling veg plug plants.

4. Liz W

Liz W Gardener

Ratings:
    +10
  5. Rosiemongrel

Rosiemongrel Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies, guys. :) Will have a look at the weekend.