1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Where to find cheapest compost?

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by kevlo, Aug 11, 2010.

1. kevlo

kevlo Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys and girls, this is my first post so hello to all. i am in the process of building 3 large planters in my garden with the following dimensions

planter 1 - 7ft x 2ft x 2ft

planter 2 - 7ft x 2ft x 2ft

planter 3 - 10ft x 2ft x 2ft

I need to fill these, im going to put a load of pebbles in the bottom of the containers to help with drainage but then fill them with compost anyone know how much compost i will need for those dimensions? also where is the cheapest place to get compost from at the moment?

thanks
    kev

2. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,494
    Welcome to GC :thumb:

I'm no expert on this but I guess you would be better off buying topsoil as you are likely to need around five tons.:roll:

Try googling topsoil. :gnthb:

3. Joolz

Joolz Gardener

Ratings:
    +884
    I agree with Shiney, you could always add in some compost to help out any planting that you'll be doing.
    Lidl's had 40kg bags at £1.99 last week. Might be worth looking there, if you have a branch close to you. But do check out your local Garden Centres too, they have special offers on most of the time.

4. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,164
    As shiney says you are better off filling at least part way with topsoil. If you fill it with nothing but compost that will all break down and disappear and next year you will be repeating the job. You do need some good soil as a base material.

5. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,164
    The cheapest compost is what you can make yourself, although that quantity would be very tough to make! What are you going to grow in there? If it's veg then theres not much time left to get things in, you are probably looking at getting it ready for next spring.

Look up spent mushroom compost suppliers in yellow pages, that will probably be the cheapest.

6. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    What about your local Council Kevlo.
    Our Council composts all the stuff it takes away in the brown bins and we can go and collect compost to take away. There'e a limit to how much we can take at one time but we can go as often a we like. And it's free.

7. Pete02

Pete02 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Free Compost!! Lucky you, our council charges £3 for a 25kg bag, if I brought a skip lorry to Perthshire d'ya think......Nah!! course not lol!!.

Pete

8. MartinHp71

MartinHp71 Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I am also in Perthshire Pete02 and you just need the Lorry, the Free Compost is already in a skip :). They win awards for it and certify it too.

9. Pete02

Pete02 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Martin, it sounds like a good drop of stuff, shame it's so far away lol!!