1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Where to get soil sample probe

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by hoofy, Jul 17, 2019.

1. hoofy

hoofy Gardener

Ratings:
    +227
    Google and ebay aren't throwing up any obvious answers. I just want to take samples from my lawn without having to dig it up. A probe would be so much easier.

2. Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,259
    • Like Like x 1
    • hoofy

hoofy Gardener

Ratings:
      +227
      They are very expensive, but I'm going to buy one anyway.

• Liz the pot

Ratings:
      +1,259
      It’s because is sports orientated so it knocks the price up. What are you hoping to achieve?

• Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,830
    • hoofy

hoofy Gardener

Ratings:
      +227
      I'm weighing up whether or not to sow a fine grass lawn.

• Liz the pot

Ratings:
      +1,259
      I’m guessing you’ve seen the Allett based videos on YouTube

He’s probably using a mix of bents and fescue as he’s constructed the lawn on the same foundation as a golf tee as he’s a green keeper. He’s going to have access to all those nice fungicides to tackle issues when they pop up and equipment to keep that lawn in great condition.
      I’m not sure if the probe will help unless you are thinking of sending of sample each year for testing and that would be over the top unless you are into your turf and have a huge interest in such stuff as this chap does.
      It is ultra rare I send in samples, I might be interested in the soil structure but 99.9 % of my clients have the run of the mill lawns and they can still look good with some basic treatments through the year.
      Any chance you could post a pic of your lawn?

• Like Like x 2
      • hoofy

hoofy Gardener

Ratings:
        +227
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Liz the pot

Ratings:
          +1,259
          Thanks.
          Notice on the chaps video how his lawn is separated from any type of plant life and what he has along one side is minimal but separated. He spends hours on that little area to keep it in good condition and probably cuts it 2 to 3 times a week. Add in the fertilisers, lawn treatments it’s a hobby that needs attention.
          It’s nice to have a lawn like that but will the urge to upkeep it fade over time due to constant work needed. I love my grass but there’s no way I want that in my back garden as I’ve plenty of other things to do if you follow my drift after tending lawns. That’s what you need to ask yourself, will I be prepared to pamper the lawn to keep it in great condition?
          I don’t want to put you off but these very fine constructed lawns need a lot more care than a normal run of the mill lawn.

• Like Like x 2
          • hoofy

hoofy Gardener

Ratings:
            +227
            I take your point LTP and I know you're right, it's just too much like hard work.

20190717_183647.jpg 20190717_183706.jpg
            The lawn has been cut every 3 or 4 days with a rotary since the end of April and just last Saturday I did my first cut with a cylinder set on highest level.

The lawn looks a bit brown in places. I don't know if this is the red thread that appeared after the rain in early June or maybe the course grass I've been battling with is dying back? Not sure but I'm pretty pleased overall as the lawn has a good thick sward with no moss or weeds. A big difference to how the lawn was when I took it on at the back end of last year.

My aim is to get it looking its best without going over the top. I'm prepared to mow twice a week, fertilise when needed, scarify, top dress, aerate etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
            • Liz the pot

Ratings:
              +1,259
              Do you have any spray equipment?
              What’s the max cut height on the cylinder mower you have?

If Red Thread took a grip it will take a while to recover but it should be well on its way now.
              Has the lawn been watered in the hot spell?
              I’m not sure those patches are from Red thread to be honest. I would have expected them to improve by now if the lawns been fed.

I know we have chatted about granular feeds but it’s worth thinking about liquids as well. Iron based fertilisers will help or a nice seaweed based feed. Seaweed is a better option if you are not sure about dosage rates as you can’t go over the top and it will help to green up the lawn and toughen the turf.

The trouble with cylinders is that they tend to cut lower even on full height so you need to compensate with some extra care to keep the grass looking nice.

• hoofy

hoofy Gardener

Ratings:
              +227
              I do have spray equipment and I think the max height of mower is about 35mm (Rough measured)

The lawn has been watered, but probably not enough. I'm learning to not take any notice of weather forecasts that promise rain the day after next as they make me hold off with the sprinkler but then the rain doesn't come but promised for the day after then doesn't come again.

I fed the lawn yesterday morning with westland aftercut and I bought some chicken manure pellets that I was going to use when I've hollow tine aerated and I'm putting on when I top dress in a couple of months.

I think I'll need to put on another application of fertiliser in between so will look into your suggestions.

• Like Like x 1
              • Liz the pot

Ratings:
                +1,259
                Word of warning, fertiliser is very corrosive so make sure the granular is well gone before the next cut.

If you really like your lawn and want to invest into a good knapsack and try out liquid fertilisers just give me a shout and I’ll talk you through it.

• Like Like x 1
                • hoofy

hoofy Gardener

Ratings:
                  +227
                  Thank you.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • hoofy

hoofy Gardener

Ratings:
                    +227
                    I do have a large Cooper Pegler sprayer that has had roundup in it. I'm currently giving it a good rinse in preparation.