Where to get soil sample probe

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by hoofy, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,259
    The best way to water the lawn is saturate the area then vary the watering with the odd saturation in between.
    Some grass types react to drought conditions quicker, finer grass tends to show the stress first.
    As with all feeds grass does need to be active for best results.
    I’m trying this feed at the moment which has a good following.
    Nutrigem 20-20-20 Foliar Fertiliser 5L | Complex Mix Of Seaweed, Trace Elements & Fertiliser

Looks expensive and they might do a 1ltr if asked but it’s 5 to 7ml per litre but again I’ve tested it over the amount they recommend and not a problem ie. more water per hectare at recommend mix rate . Although it’s a 20.20.20 which I don’t normally go for I wanted to try it to see if it creates a flush of growth. I can’t say i have seen a flush on my companions lawn that I sprayed a week ago and was there yesterday.
    You kind of get to know a product and how much to apply with your setup with fertilisers, different with herbicides as you don’t want to over apply products. So many products on the market

2. hoofy

hoofy Gardener

Ratings:
    +224
    So, am I right in thinking the liquid seaweed is used as well as your regular granular feeding schedule or can it be used instead of it.

3. Liz the pot

Ratings:
    +1,259
    Yes you always need a balanced feed so you should alway choose a fertiliser that is required along with seaweed be it granular or liquid. Just apply seaweed at a different time to a granular feed, say a week before or a week after but I like to use it before.

A friend of mine over in Ireland has this on his website which describes the benefits of seaweed.
    Using Organic Seaweed Feed to give your lawn the WOW factor

• Like Like x 1
    • hoofy

hoofy Gardener

Ratings:
      +224
      Before I hit the buy button I'm thinking I might as well save on shipping so what else would you recommend that I'm likely to need in the near future. I've just run out of Westland aftercut.

I already have 4 in 1 weed and feed, which I probably won't need until next spring. I have chicken pellets and I also have iron sulphate.

I have the seaweed and the pressure regulator in my basket. No nozzle, mine was green when I checked.

EDIT. Almost forgot to mention, I have a Scotts drop spreader.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    • Liz the pot

Ratings:
      +1,259
      Nozzles you kind of build up over time but let’s stick to green at the moment.

Is this from Progreen if so I’ll message some info.

You could do with gloves to keep any stuff you use and mix off your hands.

Gloves | Ultra Nitrile | Chemical Resistant | Safety Clothing - ProGreen

I’ll leave the rest of the safety gear, I’m sure you have a pair of wellies though.

Don’t think you need dye if you are happy you can spray the area evenly as it’s not large.

When it comes to liquid fertilisers I’ve not used their stuff so can’t say what it’s like.

I’ll message You.

• Liz the pot

Ratings:
      +1,259
      Ah good glad you got the drop spreader. That’s fine for granular feeds, keep with the granular ones you know and if you use evergreen it will also tell you the settings.

• Liz the pot

Ratings:
      +1,259
      The only thing I would say is if you plan on regular use of say weed killer for around the property and lawn care it does pay to have 2 sprayers so there is no chance of cross contamination. I’ll leave that to you but I never intend to use Roundup in say my lawn knapsack.

I’ve sent a message to you too.

• hoofy

hoofy Gardener

Ratings:
      +224
      I already bought a second sprayer, a smaller 7 litre for roundup. I have good gloves already. Yes, the order is with ProGreen. Thanks.

• Liz the pot

Ratings:
      +1,259
      That’s great, did you get my message under conversations

• hoofy

hoofy Gardener

Ratings:
      +224
      Yes, and thanks again, you're a star.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Liz the pot

Ratings:
        +1,259
        It should arrive next day after order is placed. The green nozzle output i find is a bit too much for the dosage required but it’s fine with this seaweed. You can adjust dosage and speed of walk to try to bring it into spec on the label but see how you go.

• hoofy

hoofy Gardener

Ratings:
        +224
        Yes, it's all about the walking speed. I've pretty much got the 2KG of aftercut off to perfection in two 1 kilo walks.

• Liz the pot

Ratings:
        +1,259
        That’s it, you calibrate a drop spreader by measuring the amount dropped over a set distance and do it several times to get an average.
        Walking speed is what dictates the flow to some extent which is the same as liquid feeding. It’s being constant that gives the results once you know the output.

• hoofy

hoofy Gardener

Ratings:
        +224
        Just got my soil test report back from RHS. It came with a detailed report on what the results mean and what I should do help solve any issues.

I'm quite surprised really as my lawn has had 12 months of care including a top dressing last autumn and plenty of fertiliser this year and the grass is looking pretty good. Now I can fine tune and hopefully get it even better for next year. Soil test 001.jpg

• Like Like x 1
        • Liz the pot

Ratings:
          +1,259
          Low Phosphorus is fairly common even if you add heavy amounts. Grass is very efficient scavengers due to the root systems.
          No Calcium or Sulphur figures I take it.