1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Which Bush Tomatoes?

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by ennnceee, Mar 29, 2021.

1. ennnceee

ennnceee Gardener

Ratings:
    +68
    Greetings from sunny Shoreham!

For years up until last year I would grow three Red Alerts - early, prolific, tasty - in a growbag.

For some reason, I wasn't able to find any plants last year, and, now, nor this. I wonder why the likes of Thompson & Morgan and so on don't stock them. I know I should start from seed and I have sown some, but I'm not very hopeful.

So, which are the best bush variety would you say, that would be suitable and tasty.

Thanks!

2. JayKent

JayKent Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I have never grown there, but heard large cherry tomato are a great bush variety.

Personally I always stick to Roma variety.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,201
      Hi,

Do you have a greenhouse or electric propagator ?

Without either would say you have sown too early if you just have them on a widow cill ?

Provided you can give them the warmth and light they are no harder to grow than any other plant but waiting a few more weeks until the cold weather has gone will mean the plants grow well and strong and make better plants than those sown too early.

So many varieties to choose from and everybody has their own favourites.
      Have you looked in the Tomato 2020 and Tomato 2021 threads for what others are growing ?

• Informative Informative x 1