which chempak for leeks

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by sheelaghm, Mar 4, 2011.

1. sheelaghm

sheelaghm Gardener

Wife and Mum
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone tell me which chempak formula is best to help me grow better leeks please

Thanks

Sheelagh :what:

2. Gogs

Gogs Gardener

Ratings:
    +342
    Not 100% sure but think when I grew potleeks I used Chempak #2 to start off then went to #8 sort of mid season time .

3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +45,635
    Never heard of chempak before :what:

Do you mean what fertilizer to use when you have transplanted them in June time? I use 'Growmore' on my leeks - any general purpose fertilizer will do, or blood fish and bone if you're organic :dbgrtmb: Don't put too much on otherwise you get too much leaf.

4. sheelaghm

sheelaghm Gardener

Wife and Mum
    Ratings:
    +0

Thanks John, Yes I guess I do mean fertiliser. Grew leeks for the first time last year and they were rather skinny (but tasted good which is the main thing). Asked my dad for advice so he asked his Geordie mate and he said they all used chempak on theirs but wasn't sure of the No. Can always give growmore a shot.

Thanks again

5. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,246
    I have never heard of Chempak before , just looked it up . It is a range of high performance fertilisers ( allegedly) It also has a very high price at £5 a KG ! Growing super large leeks is a tradition in the north east , so thats maybe why your geordie mate is advising this. I would go with Johns advice - unless you want leeks like the photo below :D

Picture of a Mr Micky Ruddy from Newcastle
    [​IMG]

6. spes123

spes123 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I tried chempak a couple of years ago and was somewhat disappointed with the results. Yes I did get larger Leeks than normal but not that much larger and the taste was not so good, so now I have gone back to using blood, fish and bonemeal, which is cheaper but i get smaller leeks.

7. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,360
    I have used Chempak before but not for leeks.

I tend to think its a feeding programme that the exhibitionist use, high nitrogen early followed by high potash in late summer.
    Its true, unless you are trying to compete its best to just use manure or a good balanced fertilizer, I use the chicken pellets.

8. Fresh Air

Fresh Air Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Chempak I have used for yonks, it isn't really expensive, you just need 2 15mm scoops in 5 litres of water, which really makes it economical.
    I use no.3 for my acid loving plants, no 2 for the roses and shrubs, then change to no 4 later, then change to no 8 from August.
    I use no 4 as a general fertilizer for bedding plants
    Use no 8 for your leeks.
    If you go to the Chempak website they will tell you much more than I can remember.
    As a footnote I have just seen an unbelievable recovery in a pieris after just 2 feeds of no. 3.
    FA

9. Lad

Lad Gardener

Senior Consultant
    Ratings:
    +46
    Chempak ?? never used it and really would not, I exhibit Leeks and use traditional methods never had any cause to use anything else.

10. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    I think Chempak works out expensive because you need several different packets, sitting on the shelf!.

But if you want to tailor the feed to the plant its probably the best way to go.

Mine get Miracle Grow, or nothing!

What's with the big bold font FA?