Which Clematis flower

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by McClements, Jun 11, 2019.

1. McClements

McClements Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Just moved into a new build and have three wooden posts in my wall at the end of the garden. I plan to cover them up with a trelis each and grow a clematis flower. What clematis would be best for growing and hiding these posts. They are about 6ft just higher.

Or if anyone else has a better suggestion to hide them?

Many thanks

Attached Files:

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
      Ratings:
      +14,123
      Hi @McClements Welcome to GC.. :SUNsmile:

What direction is the wall facing as that could make a big difference to what you grow or which Clematis..

Do specifically want Clems’ or what about a climbing rose and a couple of other climbers so there is interest through the year.. :SUNsmile:

• Like Like x 2
      • McClements

McClements Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +2
        Hi, thanks for the reply. Its north east facing wall (I think), looks like in have sun on it from late morning to about 5pm before shadows get in the way.

First ever owned garden, so unsure about other climbers. Just looking to cover the post up, preferably with a flower that looks nice all year round (even if it doesnt flower until summer), but will grow 6ft

• Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
        +17,486
        I would go for clematis Montana.....the variety Grandiflora which is nicely scented. Masses of flowers at this time of year on vigorous plants. Easily and quickly cover height and width required.
        I planted a couple of these clematis at my niece’s new build last autumn and they have flowered profusely this spring. You can buy plants from diy or stores like Morrison’s or from good online suppliers like Taylor’s Clematis :)

For the warmer walls or fences Trachelospermum is an excellent climber....almost evergreen foliage and scented summer flowers. Honeysuckles too....not all are scented so choose a scented variety

• Agree Agree x 2
        • Like Like x 1