Which diesel water pump!

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by JohnD, Aug 21, 2016.

1. JohnD

JohnD Gardener

Ratings:
    +144
    Here in Italy we've had months of extreme heat and a couple of days rain in that period :sad: Everything in this region looks exhausted, trees and bushes look limp and there seems to be an excess of leaves falling as a result of this drought. Because of this we have to water our garden constantly, using tap water. It's expensive and i'm not a fan of watering from a tap. At the other side of our fence is a canal which i can access, and for some time i've been considering using the water from the canal. Most farmers use this system to water their crops.
    Now i'm looking into buying a diesel water pump to supply my garden with chemical free microbial water. I've never used a diesel pump so would like to know what i should be considering when i make my purchase! Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    since you say that the weather is hot, what about fotovoltaic pump?

• Like Like x 1
    • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
      Ratings:
      +31,475
      There many petrol water pumps for sale and may be a bit less noisy,
      Also make sure you don't have to get a licence to take water from a water course

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        It'd be a lot cheaper and easier to go with Miraflores idea of a solar pump, you wouldn't need a huge one, just enough to fill a header tank that you could then use to water from :)

• Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
        Ratings:
        +5,368
        Theres a few things that have to be considered here. How much water is needed? How far does it have to be pumped? Does it have to be pumped uphill? Things like that.

Although solar powered water pumps are used in places such as Australia, to pump the amount of water needed, although cheap to run, they tend to be the most expensive initially.

Diesel powered ones tend to be more expensive than petrol driven, and even the smallest ones tend to have a larger capacity than bigger petrol ones.

So really, it boils down to my first sentences. Work out what you need, then buy accordingly. Italy, incidentally, have quite a few good quality pumps. Look for a well known Italian made brand.

• Useful Useful x 1
        • JohnD

JohnD Gardener

Ratings:
          +144
          Sorry for the delay in responding and thanks for the suggestions. Sandy the distance from my garden and the canal where i would draw the water from is 15 metres. Half of that is uphill almost 90 degrees. The garden area is 300 squared metres and we have quite a lot of trees and bushes that really are suffering as a result of this drought.

• Sandy Ground

Making things of note.
          Ratings:
          +5,368
          What would be the vertical distance from the bottom of the canal, to the place the pump would be situated? Guessing from what you wrote, around 8 or more metres. Is that correct?

• noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +13,964
          Coucou..I'll try not to hi-jack this thread, promise, but I've got exactly the same problem! Got the use of a farm reservoir at the bottom of our land but after 9 years of pratting about with little electric pumps, it's time to get real and install something capable of pumping uphill for 300m through 32mm pipe, to supply up to 5 take-offs at a time into 19mm hosepipe. I've been warned off diesel or petrol-powered, though. For a start, there's the recoil starter! It's a fact that the neighbours who have exactly the same requirements (it's a communal reservoir) have both opted for electric. I'd be most grateful for some advice!

• Sandy Ground

Making things of note.
          Ratings:
          +5,368
          For both of these pumps, the best advice I could give would be to contact one of the companies that supply pumps that are custom made to the requirements. I do know of one such company in the UK that could do this. Not sure if its within forum rules to mention them in a reply though.