1. A very warm welcome to our new members from GW forums!
    Please see post #99 in the thread below for important information to help your friends wishing to join
    Gardeners World forum members gathering place
    Dismiss Notice

Which end?

Discussion in 'Poly-Tunnel Gardening' started by Jimb0b, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Jimb0b

Jimb0b Gardener

NHS
    Ratings:
    +199
    Hi all when I finally get my polytunnel up, I want to put some staging/shelving in for seeds etc etc.

Which end have people found best (assuming you only have one door).

I was thinking near the door, as in summer and it’s hot with door open I will at least get a bit more of a breeze when standing there potting up etc, where as the other end I won’t as much.

Thanks,

James

• Like Like x 1
    • wavebuster

wavebuster Gardener

Ratings:
      +122
      Hi,
      Why not make a door at the other end (if you only have one door) then you can take your pick as to the location of any shelving/staging.
      Much better for circulation as well

• Jimb0b

Jimb0b Gardener

NHS
      Ratings:
      +199
      Hi thanks for your reply, the one I have only has a door at one end it’s one of those big green ones, but has a metal framed hinged door rather than a zip door.

James

• Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
      Ratings:
      +14,122
      Hi @Jimb0b I have a large poly tunnel now with double doors at each end but when I had my little tunnel it was most beneficious at the end of the tunnel that gets the most sun all day.. They can heat up to very high temps.. When I started mine little ones door was at the least sunny end..... No good.. Everything struggled or cooked behind the polythene, so took the cover off and put it on the other way... Much much better things didn't die of heat exhaustion. Watering twice daily nor enough once turned around I had success.. Soo have the door at the sunny end.. :thumbsup:

• Jimb0b

Jimb0b Gardener

NHS
      Ratings:
      +199
      Thanks makes sense, but I was more thinking of me standing/sitting there potting up and doing bits and bobs and slowly getting cooked hahahaha
      that’s why I thought shelving near the door? (Bit of a breeze for me)

Sun isn’t a problem it will all be in sun it’s not over shadowed by anything

James

• Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
      Ratings:
      +14,122
      :whistle: Yes you were asking the shelving problem.. Sorry.. Went off on a tangent there.. if your tunnel is in full sun put your shelving in a bright area, but not direct sun or they will cook.. Maybe rig some shade up if seedlings get too hot... Seedlings want bright but not full sun..

• Agree Agree x 1