Which rose is best

Discussion in 'Roses' started by starflower, Apr 3, 2007.

1. starflower

starflower Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

I'm looking to fill a bed with roses and then plant some lavander in front to give me a nice, rather elegant display, at the front of my house. The soil is excellent and the border faces south and so gets the sun until midday. Has anyone any ideas for the typs of rose I should go for? Ideally I am looking for something fragrant and that will flower for as long as possible. Any tips would be gratefully received.

2. compostee

compostee Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Depends on the height you want to go for, is the bed an island or side border. What i mean is, do you want high at the back or in the middle?
    Dendrobium is your best option for the correct info re roses.
    I go for patio at the front, with floribundas and hybrd teas in the next tier, then a nice bush rose in the centre. As for named varieties, depends on colour. Sorry i'm being a bit vague.

3. starflower

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello
    thanks for replying,
    it is a side border which has a a back wall that is about one and a half feet tall, so ideally I'd like something that would go up to and maybe slightly over this. I am looking to plant highish at the back and then another plant in the middle, possible lavaander as I understand this works well with roses. As for colour I love white roses. Does this help at all?

4. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    Hi, Starflower! That's quite small for a rose, heightwise - and the only one I can find that's white and suitable is this one
    Macmillan Nurse Rose

It's white tinged with peach, and scented, and grows to a max of 3 ft. There is Baby Alberic, a bit lower, which you can see on the same site, a bit shorter, but not scented.

Maybe that'll give you some ideas. If you look at this site, or some of the other rosebreeders sites, like Austin Roses, they have a search facility where you can have a good look to see what suits you best.

BTW - thanks for the compliment, Compostee - but I think Fran and Liz know a lot more about roses than I do! ;)

5. starflower

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for your help I'll check out the site.

6. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +213
    Hi starflower, these guys produce some brilliant roses. I have ordered from them and have no complaints.

http://www.cantsroses.co.uk/

I have a number of their varieties, big purple being my most favourite.

7. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Starflower and welcome. Roses and lavenders do go very well, as do garden pinks. However I am a bit concerned that you are looking at a height of just over one and a half foot at the most for the back. That could limit you to patio or minature roses - and not many of them are v fragrant.

Is there any chance you could post a picture of your front garden, so we have a clearer idea of the size your talking about. Then we may be able to suggest some that will give the effect you want. Be aware though that some white roses are easily marked by rain. You may be better with cream. Any other colours you like?

8. starflower

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the link I will check out their site. As for other colours I'm a bit partial to pink and yellow too. I could go higher by putting up a supporting trelis which wouldn't be a problem I suppose. I will attatch a photo when I have figured out how to do so, please bare with me I'm new to all of it. Big thanks for all the tips so far.

9. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Now you widening the choice a bit. Unless you chose climbers or ramblers - then roses don't need any support. The rose below is s shrub rose, rosa del'hay - the fragrance of which wafts around the garden - it now stands about 7 foot high and is totally self supporting.

[​IMG]

But this would probably be a bit big for you.

However here are a few suggestions for roses, floribunda (cluster flowered bush roses), english and hybrid tea that do very well for me. I've tried to stay on the lighter creams, pinks etc. cos that seems to be what you would like.

[​IMG]

Cluster Flowered Bush Rose - Irish Hope

[​IMG]

Cluster flowered Bush Rose - Great Expectations

[​IMG]

Hybrid Tea Rose - Peace

[​IMG]

English Rose - David Austin Jacques Cartier

[​IMG]

Cluster flowered bush rose - ? Hannah I'm not certain that this name is right but its as close as I and this forum can get.

10. starflower

Ratings:
    +0
    wow they are beautiful, feel very inspired now!

11. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    starflower, with all the tips Fran has given you I'm sure you'll find what you want.

Fran, I've fallen in love with your Irish Hope Rose! The Great Expectations is a close second. A question, the Hybrid Tea Rose Peace (another beauty!) is pink, I thought Peace was always yellow?

12. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +49,913
    Oh, Fran, they are exquisite. Like Sis I love the Irish Hope Rose ... must be a family thing! [​IMG]

However, I am fascinated with the "shrub rose, rosa del'hay - the fragrance of which wafts around the garden - it now stands about 7 foot high and is totally self supporting."

It must be like being in heaven there! [​IMG]

13. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Thank you, I'm glad you liked them - I was slow to like roses, but they "grewed" on me :D and I now have a fair number, including some of the "rescued" roses from Pal. I grow them amongst other plants in the main - because of course they are thoroughly boring over winter and early spring. This year I decided not to spray (I usually give them a couple of sprays early in the year) and they seem to be doing well. I have my first ones open.

KG - Peace is mainly yellow, but with a slight blush of pink at the edge of the petals. The colouring is very delicate - the perfume supurb Chicago Peace is much more pink, and I'm not overly fond of it.

LOL - that shrub rose is wonderful and oh the fragrance!!! - an old friend had rooted a cutting of it which she gave me. Twas slow to get going - but as you see from the picture is very well established now :D She grew hers, as indeed do Waterperry - in a dome, bending the branches over - but I prefer just letting it go and underplanting.