1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Which Roses to choose

Discussion in 'Roses' started by Chris.T, Mar 5, 2021.

1. Chris.T

Chris.T Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    Hello again, I was hoping I could get some advice on which Roses to choose to grow up my wall. I've already put up the trellis in anticipation (as shown) but now need to pick the Roses I want.
    20210305_142350.jpg
    I have my heart set on red roses and would prefer it if they were scented as I plan on spending time sat out in the summers to come, although if they were un scented then this wouldn't be a deal breaker.
    The top of the trellis is 2.7 metres from the floor so I'd like it if I could get the roses to grow to the top and if possible further as I would like to train them to grow across the top of the window.
    The ground I'd be planting into would be the same as the one that is shown in my previous post so I'm pretty sure I won't have too much dificulty in actually growing the roses but as I write this I have a feeling some will be already shaking their heads at my naivety but again all advice is greatly appreciated.
    So far I have looked at the Paul's Scarlet and also the Ena Harkness as having the things I'm looking for ie height, length of bloom etc but would I'd appreciate any other suggestions from the kind and knowledgeable folk on here.
    I'd also like to grow a white coloured clematis in combination with the roses but have no idea which ones would be best.
    Thanks for taking the time to read through my post, Chris.

2. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +14,363
    Hello Chris, this one would get my vote every time...Chateau de Clos Vougeot
    For a white clematis, Gillian Blades, Henryi or Miss Bateman?

• Informative Informative x 1
    • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,836
      Hi Chris, well, you haven't said in which direction the Rose will face and knowing that will help members to give advice. I have to say, when it comes to Roses, they are such a personal choice that it would, ideally, be great if you actually saw the plant in flower.......but things are never ideal.

Not seen post, which is why I asked about the direction the Rose would be facing, so we can have an idea of Sun or shade.

Well, I bought Rose "Paul's Scarlet" in a large pot last year because it was going cheap:dunno::heehee: but I haven't seen it in flower yet. @Perki did tell me, after I'd bought it, that Rose "Paul's Scarlet" is not a repeat flowering Rose but, in my garden, which has around 23-26 Climbing and Shrub Roses in it, doesn't really matter. I tend to fall in love with a Rose when seeing it in flower and buy it on impulse:doh:
      I would advise definitely getting a repeat flowering Rose to get the most out of it throughout the year and, of course, Scent is vital.

Danse du Feu
      upload_2021-3-5_21-51-30.png

Rose "Rambling Rosie" (a rambling Rose will do fine on the trellis
      upload_2021-3-5_21-52-38.png

Tess of the D'urbervilles
      [​IMG]

Rose "Altissimo
      [​IMG]

Rose "Crimson Glory"
      upload_2021-3-5_21-57-2.png

Rose "Guinee"
      upload_2021-3-5_21-58-44.png

Rose "Chateau des clos Vougeot
      upload_2021-3-5_22-0-7.png

There's plenty more red repeat flowwering climbing Roses out there but take your time to choose and don't forget all Roses are hungry plants and need feeding regularly.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Chris.T

Chris.T Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +12
        Hi and thanks for the replies so far.
        What a beautiful flower the Chateau des clos Vougeot is although after doing a quick google search it seems to have quite a gap between flowering and as suggested I think I'd want one that would repeat often.
        One of the reasons that I thought of the Paul's was that according to the Thompson & Morgan site, it flowers from June to September. I assumed this meant that it repeated during those months.
        It will be facing south east and would get quite a good bit of sun til early afternoon when the sun goes behind some trees.

Is there a time frame that I will need to adhere to before I can no longer plant or would I be ok having a trip round some garden centres to see a flowering plant before planting?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
      • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
        +100,836
        @Chris.T

Well, firstly, don't believe all the marketing blurb you read and the first couple of years might mean more growing than flowering and, secondly, a single flowering Rose like Rose "Paul's Scarlet" might only produce a few weeks flowering if the planting site is not right.
        I have a single flowering Climbing Rose "Alchemist"
        [​IMG]which
        which I first saw at Barnsley and decided that was the one I wanted for the Arbour
        upload_2021-3-5_23-53-38.png
        But, lovely as it is, it's flowering period is supposedly from June to around October although it has never done that........so beware of stated flowering periods, which is why it's better to go with repeat flowering Climbing Roses because you know you will get that second flush of flowers.

There are some things that you forgive a Rose for, Chris:dunno: I've never fallen in love with a perfect Rose because I don't think I've ever found one. None of the Repeat Flowering Roses continuously flower there's always a some sort of pause between.

• noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +14,363
        The big pluses with Chateau de clos Vougeot are the scent and the vigour. It also withstands the sun without fading, which some reds don't.
        If you're going to plant a potted rose, Chris, you can do that whenever suits you. You might get away with bare-root planting still...(David Austin just for an example deliver until May), but you won't see what you're getting until it's settled in.

• Agree Agree x 1