1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Which 'tree' for my front garden? Help me choose!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by TurnedThespian, Sep 21, 2014.

?

Which should I position in my front garden?

1. Twisted hazel

40.0%
  2. Red twisted hazel

40.0%
  3. Robinia - Lace Lady

20.0%
  4. Cotoneaster - Erlinda

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. TurnedThespian

TurnedThespian Gardener

Reformed Luvvie
    Ratings:
    +510
    I recently reinstated my front garden. I now want to move one of my larger 'trees' (not technically trees, but the closest I can get to a tree in my small garden) around to the front to put by the front door, for impact. They are all in containers. The front garden (particularly by the front door where I want to put it) is north facing, so shaded. It is, however, sheltered from the cold. I have four decent sized 'trees' in containers that I could consider. I would like something with winter interest as well as summer, so these are my options:

Twisted hazel (Corylus avellina 'contorta') - this is the largest of my options
    Red twisted hazel (Corylus avellina 'contorta' - Red Majestic)
    Robinia pseudoacacia 'Lace Lady'
    Standard Cotoneaster - Erlinda

The first three options have winter interest because of their stark, twisted branches (and catkins in spring). The latter should have red berries, but this year it only has one or two, so would probably look boring in winter without its leaves. It would look nice in Summer, though, and possibly subsequent winters.

I plan to plant spring bulbs around the base of whichever I choose to put by the front door. Any idea which would fair best in a sheltered, shady environment? I'm leaning towards the first option because its leaves got a bit scorched in my very hot south facing garden this year, and I struggled to keep it watered in a container. It's also the most established. But I am open to suggestions!

I've added a poll, just because I can!

2. TurnedThespian

TurnedThespian Gardener

Reformed Luvvie
    Ratings:
    +510
    I've just researched, and the cotoneaster is actually evergreen, it seems! Decision still applies, though, I'm not sure it will like north facing.

3. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Personally I would use a pair of evergreen Topiary bushes next to the door.

But before you move anything there, being as it will be in the front garden is it likely to be nicked? :sad:

4. TurnedThespian

TurnedThespian Gardener

Reformed Luvvie
    Ratings:
    +510
    There's always a risk of it being nicked. But since we reinstated the garden wall, and there's a gate on it, it's less likely (though not impossible). All of these are pretty heavy though, so someone would have to be pretty determined to nick anything I put out front - not a job for an opportunistic thief, it would require some planning! (And a large enough vehicle).
    I like the idea of a matching pair, but there is an alley to one side of the door, so I only have room for one feature plant.
    I think I'm going to go with the standard twisted hazel, it's also the largest option, so very difficult to pinch. (And not back-breakingly expensive, should it go walkies...)

5. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    I think I'd be looking at Pyracantha:blue thumb:

6. Jungle Jane

Jungle Jane Middle Class Twit Of The Year 2005

Local Nutcase
    Ratings:
    +3,225
    Ditto

7. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +21,790
    Piccy of front garden will help...

• Like Like x 1
    • TurnedThespian

TurnedThespian Gardener

Reformed Luvvie
      Ratings:
      +510
      I've gone with the twisted hazel. It was quite an undertaking to move it (it required a trolley on wheels), so I very much doubt it will be pinched! I will probably put fairy lights on it in winter, but I like it... it's quirky.
      It does currently have leaf scorch, so I hope that moving it away from the direct heat might help it.
      It may not be obvious from the photo, but there isn't room to the right of the door for another plant... Plus I can't justify buying anything new when my garden is overflowing. ;-)

[​IMG]

This is from the other angle (I know, I need a bin tidy!). It's kind of 'Japanese garden meets English Country raised garden', so I think it works, in a strange sort of way.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
        Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
      • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,667
        Hedgehog Holly? @ARMANDII will wet himself!!

Bamboo looks like it needs a larger pot :)

Is the corkscrew doing to look rather bare once it drops its leaves? :sad:

• TurnedThespian

TurnedThespian Gardener

Reformed Luvvie
        Ratings:
        +510
        Yup, hedgehog holly. My personal fave (pride of place).
        The bamboo does, indeed, need a larger pot. (At the start of the summer, it was one scrawny looking stalk, but now it needs re-potting. Next on my list, fear not).
        I quite like the twisty bareness of the twisted hazel in winter (especially against the awful rendering), but hopefully some fairy-lights will help it along.

• Like Like x 1
        • Val..

Val.. Confessed snail lover

Retired
          Ratings:
          +4,951
          Yes, me too.!! :thumbsup:

Val

• Like Like x 1