1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Which way should greenhouse face?.

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by thatfatbloke, Sep 30, 2013.

1. thatfatbloke

thatfatbloke Apprentice Gardener

HGV Driver
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,I'm considering buying a small greenhouse as the 'blowaway' collapsed last year!. I had it facing west(ish) and stuff was doing quite well until the inevitable happened. I was quite proud of myself as virtually everything had grown to some extent. However,the space I had planned for the 'new' greenhouse faces east(ish). Would it be a waste of time putting it there?. Also,whichever position I put it in,the outside area for planting out would have to be on the opposite side to the greenhouse. Hmmm..... Perhaps I should stick to buying ready grown veggies!.

2. Kleftiwallah

Kleftiwallah Gardener

Retired by circumstances.
    Ratings:
    +568
    I would recommend the longer length is North South. That way you get the sun along the length of the g'house from sunrise to sunset as the sun moves through the heavens.

Cheers, Tony.

• Like Like x 1
    • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,667
      N-S probably ideal, but I'm not sure it matters too much. Obviously the plants on the South side will get more sun, but you can counteract that by planting taller plants, like Tomatoes, on the North side and shorter ones like Peppers on the South side.

Make sure you get enough vents though - they are typically sold with far too few vents IMO.

• Like Like x 1
      • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,667
        Sorry hadn't read @Kleftiwallah post when I replied, don't read my post as a criticism of the earlier suggestion of N-S :)

• Like Like x 1