1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

White Gloss Paint - recommendations ?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by ricky101, Mar 7, 2021.

1. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,203
    Hi,

Seems for indoor use, the White Oil based gloss paints are still very prone to yellowing in areas that do not get full light.

Have been using the water based ones on existing white woodwork, but find the undercoats and can be rather thin needing two coats and, even with fine and soft synthetic brushes, you can still see and even feel the many little brush marks in the final gloss coat, its just so quick drying the paint is not able to settle into a smooth surface.

The current paints we were able to buy, as quiet a few brands out of stock, are the Leyland water based Undercoat and Dulux Trade water based Gloss.

Any recommendation as to brands that offer better performance in terms of better opacity and flow ?

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,608
    There's a difference in the quality of the paint depending on where you buy it from Ricky. That applies to both brand names and home brands. I was given information a couple of decades back and consequently don't buy from major diy stores anymore.

• Like Like x 1
    • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,203
      Think you mean going to places like the trade paint centers ?

We have used the Johnstones trade center in the past for their top water based paints but it still yellows after a year or so if not in strong light.:sad:

• Informative Informative x 1
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +85,993
        I always go to Johnstones and only buy oil based gloss.
        Last time I went I asked about water based gloss and ended up with Leyland trade paint.

Honest assessment, its rubbish but quick to use and dry and doesn't smell, which basically says it all about how everyone wants things these days.

I agree, it dries so fast that it looks like a ploughed field when you have finished.

Don't buy Leyland, I've had other colours in that and it just doesn't do the job.

I stick with Johnstone's gloss it just flows so much better and covers well.

• Like Like x 3
        • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
          +46,161
          I use Crown Solo oil based, gives a really high gloss finish and doesn't yellow. It does take over 24 hrs to dry and smells, but it's worth it for the longer lasting finish.

• Like Like x 3