1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

White powder on Rhodie

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Kenneth Boyd, Jun 10, 2020.

1. Kenneth Boyd

Kenneth Boyd Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all - please forgive this newbie question! I have a couple of Rhodies which suffered big-time a few years ago - I think they were too dry but there is something else going on, possibly mildew or leaf blight. ANYWAY, they have survived but do very little each year. This year, I have been at home a lot and have been trying to make some progress with them - they've each had lots of food, water and they look to have come alive again. However, one of them has a lot of 'white powder' on the leaves - once the leaves have expanded, you can rub this off but I've attached a picture of some shoots - you can see the white powder on them - they are covered in it. Question is: is this ok or should I rub it off?

Thank you so much in advance, I'm desperate to get these plants looking good!

Ken

Attached Files:

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,976
    It looks normal to me, the white stuff is just on the new leaves.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Kenneth Boyd

Ratings:
      +1
      Thank you - ok I just wanted to be sure! :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • CarolineL

CarolineL Total Gardener

Retired Software engineer
        Ratings:
        +4,343
        @Kenneth Boyd some rhododendrons - mostly from yakushimanum hybrids have this on young leaves - it can be quite a nice feature. Others have lovely brown dust underneath the leaves...

• Like Like x 1
        • Kenneth Boyd

Ratings:
          +1
          OK that is very re-assuring. You guys are fantastic! I've just popped out now to grab a couple more photos (sorry about this). The first one shows the same plant but another branch of it - these leaves come each year but never any flowers and they never grow - the leaves look a tad brown or bruised in a pattern along them.

I've also taken a photo of my other Rhodie which is generally much more healthy but has a few leaves with these brown spots on them.

If you can shed any light on either of these, it would be wonderful!

Attached Files:

• CarolineL

CarolineL Total Gardener

Retired Software engineer
          Ratings:
          +4,343
          The other stem looks poor. The pattern suggests some form of deficiency. Make sure the soil is acidic, and maybe water with sequestered iron to help the plant - otherwise the new stems will start to show these symptoms as well. The other plant also shows some signs of this too - notice the pattern on them.

• Like Like x 1
          • Kenneth Boyd

Ratings:
            +1
            OK thanks Caroline, I have fed these both properly this year but I think these leaves were already in place. I will get hold of some sequestered iron as you suggest and go from there. Thank you for your help!