White spots on patio

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by novice_gardener, Apr 16, 2011.

1. novice_gardener

novice_gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

I hope I put this question in the right place! I did a quick inspection of our patio this morning, which I had treated with weedkiller a week ago. I noticed that there were lots of white spots on the stones, especially near the place where the stones of the patio meet each other (and where I would have used the weedkiller).

Does anyone know if a weedkiller could do such a thing? (The instructions on the spray do not mention this) And if it is not from the weedkiller, what is it? A quick google search seems to suggest efflorescence, but then the pictures of this seem different then my spots: the spots are really concentric and contained, rather than a white smear or something.

Help really appreciated!

Best wishes,

Anne

2. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,246
    Hello N_G -
    I doubt weedkiller could have marked your patio paving stones , but then again I am not a chemist. Are the slabs natural stone or cement pavers which could possibly show a touch of efflorescence. I have limestone pavers and any staining is cured by a light wire brushing. For more info have look on this site below , I am sure it will have cleaning methods for you. :thumbsup:

pavingexpert - Paving, Drainage and Hard Landscaping Advice

3. novice_gardener

novice_gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi HarryS!

Thanks for your reply! It is more like concrete than natural stone. I agree it seems unlikely that bleach would do this, and now that I am white-spot-obsessed I've noticed that there are also similar spots outside our house on the pavement. I'll have a look at the website and keep my fingers crossed that our landlady won't blame us!

Cheers!

Anne