1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

White stone like deposits in soil

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Shyamalie Satkunanandan, May 18, 2020.

1. Shyamalie Satkunanandan

Shyamalie Satkunanandan Gardener

Ratings:
    +28
    Hi all,

I was digging up weed bulbs in my garden and noticed that in one area the soil was of the clay type but also felt "crunchy" when my spade when through. There were lots of very small pockets of white rock-like deposits in the soil. (Amongst pockets of very red soil.). The rest of the garden does not have this issue. It's right next to where a shed and concrete base was built.

I'm going to be putting down cardboard and mulch this week. Is there anything I should do to this bit of soil before? Anything I should add to the mulch layers?

It's also in a permanently shaded spot so I don't want a nightmare of trying to plant things next year.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,139
  3. Graham B

Graham B Gardener

Ratings:
    +491
    From those pictures, it looks like the builders have buried a lot of rubble in that area. If it's next to the concrete base for a shed, that's pretty normal.

If you're going to grow stuff there, extract all the bits of stone and brick. If you're just going to mulch it to stop things growing, it probably doesn't matter.

4. Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
    Ratings:
    +6,097
    It is quite natural for lime lime/stone deposits to form in the soil. Were the findings of much larger proportions, I would be tempted to be concerned.

5. Shyamalie Satkunanandan

Shyamalie Satkunanandan Gardener

Ratings:
    +28
    Thanks @Mike Allen, @Graham B and @JWK.

I've taken out a lot of the concrete and stones now.

My soil pH tester arrived and the reading is pH 4.5 in that spot! A little further away it's 6.5 and at the other end of the flower bed its 7.

Should I take out a lot of the large patches of red clay and replace it with excess topsoil (ph7) from part of my lawn (that the builders turned into a mini hill).

Can I just mix it in with the acidic soil? And then mulch over with organic matter and cardboard etc.

6. Graham B

Graham B Gardener

Ratings:
    +491
    If you know it's acidic there, make use of that and pick a plant which likes those conditions. Heather, witch hazel, magnolia or camellia will love it.

• Agree Agree x 1