1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Who is opening their garden this year?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Melinda, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Melinda

Melinda Gardener

Ratings:
    +437
    Does anyone here do this- or would consider doing it?

Ive been approached to open my garden for a weekend this summer as part of a local festival. Im inclined to say no. Im racing most weekends, plus my garden is big but not huge.

Im concerned about damage not to mention randoms walking about the place.
    Its one thing hosting hulking great sporty types but this is different. Im assuming I cant refuse someone admission on the grounds I dont like their hair or footwear.

But then I do access via side gates so people wouldnt have to come through the house, and I could show off my dazzling cooking skills... Half a sheep on a spit; a little lemon, thyme, garlic- hello!

But then, it'll take forever to remove the landmines, trip wires and the Mad Max flame thrower on the roof. I have concerns my robust security measures wont make it past the initial health and safety check.

My apocalyptic fantasies aside, have people's experiences of opening up to the public been largely positive?

2. davygfuchsia

davygfuchsia Gardener

Ratings:
    +257
    Hi Melinda .
    I had an open garden day (Usually first Sunday in July) for a number of years . I don't have a large garden but at the time I did it for our local Elderly Care Centre..Very rewarding, but a fair amount of effort needed...I had no spare seating areas, so my nieghbour (who only has a lawned garden) allowed us to take a fence panel out and we had refreshments and seating in his garden ..Plants for sale as well ..I have not had it for a couple of years due to health issues, but would do it again should the circumstances arise ..
    Dave

3. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    :thumbsup: Well done Dave.!! Melinda, shiney opens his garden a couple of times a year usually, so he would be a good person for advice.. :WINK1:

4. Melinda

Melinda Gardener

Ratings:
    +437
    Shiney is ace! :D I'll wait for him to crack me up laughing with tales of Mothers' Union types nicking bits off his viburnums!

Hey Dave :)

Wow- you removed a fence panel! Seriously, decent neighbour!

I get the feeling there is a lot more involved in this enterprise than Im expecting.

5. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Worth doing early in the year as a means of forcing you to get your garden in order - and then it will be Apple-Pie order for the rest of the season (says me who only did it once and vowed never again!)

I think if you are keen then do the Yellow Book as that will attract gardeners, rather than local rubber-neckers and joint-casers :(

6. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,062
    Yes Shiney is your man. Keep the mad max flame thrower - could be useful for keeping the weeds down :)

• Like Like x 1
    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +118,361
      Hi Melinda,

They wouldn't nick bits of my viburnums this year! I'm fighting a battle with viburnum beetle at the moment (the country's No 1 pest) but I won't let the treetreetreetreetreetreetree (I've been censored!!!) beat me :heehee:.

It's very rewarding to open the garden but can be a lot of work depending on how much you want to do.

First question:-
      Does your garden have much to show at the time of year they want you to open? If not, then you are going to need to plan what to grow to show off with :).

What does the local festival advertise themselves as and are the open gardens a major or minor part of what is going on? The organisers can sometimes get hold of tables and chairs for you but you won't need much seating places if you're not serving teas etc.
      How close to the centre of what is going on are you? The further away the less punters you will get.
      If they don't do much publicity then you won't get a good turn out - naturally - but I suspect they will do the usual printing of a map which will be given to anyone who pays to see the gardens. In that case then each garden will need a supply of maps to sell just in case they are the first garden to be visited. Most people get their friends (unless, like me, you are Mr NoMates :heehee:) to start at their own garden so they can boast they have sold tickets.

I wouldn't worry about wear and tear on the garden. You have to have a lot of people coming through to give it much wear. Last year we had 400 people in 7 hours through the garden and the only part that had some wear was around the main plant sales area - and that recovered in a couple of weeks.

We don't have our open garden in conjunction with anyone else but then you would need to be good at publicising things yourself. The Yellow Book (NGS) are excellent at advertising but then they take a percentage of the door money for their charity - and you usually have to be inspected to see whether you comply with their health and safety and that the garden is interesting enough.

If you're going to serve teas (it should be printed on the map) then you need to think about cups/mugs (we don't do saucers), at least two kettles (we borrow two big tea urns from the village hall but we averaged 40 cups an hour), volunteers to wash up and make tea (if your garden has things of interest in it you should be available to talk to the people about it) and volunteers to bake cakes (or buy some).

This all presupposes that the turnout is good so you need to talk to others that have opened in previous years.

Obviously, good weather will increase throughput but if there are enthusiastic gardeners that are coming round bad weather won't put them off. Last year, on the Saturday morning, it rained steadily but people were still turning up, walking round the garden with brollies and then some of them sat in the rain under their brollies and had tea :scratch:.

Find out what they really expect of you.

Whatever publicity they do for the event you can always improve on it with a little bit of initiative :D

Let me know if you have any more questions. :dbgrtmb:

I'm just about to put up the info on my Open Garden under 'Events'. There will be a special invite to GC members as usual and last year we had a good group turn up :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 3
      • Melinda

Melinda Gardener

Ratings:
        +437
        Hey Shiney :)

Thanks for the run down of general responsibilities. I live in a rather insular conservation area and the local association and rotary are having a week long festival. There are stalls, and craft workshops and historical tours and sports events though the week- its fairly well advertised.

I'd have people to help- well probably. The entire boat club turned out to move my gear back from University in convoy. But goodness me, that sounds like an awful lot of preparatory work and worry-
        I can get rather precise and technical and since most of my friends dont know one end of a spade from another, Id be doing this work alone. I'll have to see how many other people sign up and how guilty I feel.

Shiney, regarding your beetles- Im happy to fashion a bespoke flame thrower and other tools of mass destruction to take them on. I give you fair warning, as in any conflict, there may be a fair bit of collateral damage of the 'We had to destroy the village to save the village' variety, but I guarantee victory! HURRAH!

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,667
        I'm sure the good folk here will help with that bit :heehee:

• shiney

Ratings:
        +118,361
        Hi Melinda,
        A bespoke flame thrower sounds good :thumbsup:. Can you make it with a motion sensor? I'll do you a swap for one of our cruise missiles. Mrs shiney wouldn't let me use one on the stag that ate our shrubs :mad:.

Are you expected to open your garden all week :what:. Most people that visit gardens tend to do it on the weekend.

If you haven't got a lot of plant interest in the garden then you will have to decide whether it is worth opening.

If you do open then it always gives a good impression if the lawn has just been cut and the lawn edges are cut and with sharp vertical edges. A professional gardener who mainly works getting gardens ready for viewing by the public told me that the edges are most important. I'm sure you could get some of your friends who know nothing about gardens to cut the edges with a spade. You only need to show them which end to use :heehee:.

I'm sure your friends will be only too happy to help out. You could even think up a humorous theme for them to do - dress up, do silly things etc. The word would soon spread and bring people. :loll::yess:

• Melinda

Melinda Gardener

Ratings:
        +437
        Quick update.

Ive been running about trying to tidying things up because Ive agreed to open the garden after all, but its an invite only drinks reception rather than a free for all. It'll be around my birthday and so Im combing the events and so hopefully the flame thrower and gun turrets will not be necessary.

I need to thank you all for the advice about renovating doors and chairs which has helped me retain a semblance of control! Im just waiting for my appalling lawn to green up and I'll be happy.

• Melinda

Melinda Gardener

Ratings:
        +437
        Ok this goes down tomorrow evening and Im twitchy. I've had forty RSVPs.
        I'll be serving home made elderflower champagne, mojitos, and fruit platters. I wasnt about to cook for forty.

Ive got quite a bit of help- I just hope the weather holds out. Ive borrowed a patio heater and a lot of rather fine wrought iron seating. My mother and her friends took pity on me after I mentioned clearing up the plastic seats!!

I should have asked earlier about outdoor lighting.
        I settled for 14 various storm lanterns to light pathways and to hang from sconces, trees and fencing, plus a massive box of church candles.
        I did wonder about solar lights but didnt see any I liked.

Please see below the birthday card my sister gave me, my mother was horrified. I laughed like a drain and my mother made one of her all too frequent mentions of our expensive education. My sister is my very best girl and is currently (well for the past 20 years) my favourite person on the planet.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
        • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
          Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
          Ratings:
          +10,534
          I 've been asked twice by the local garden club for their annual garden tours in June. But their date is so close to our return from our holiday away that it would stress me too much to get ready, and work too.
          And, I am not sure I want strangers roaming around the property. We live in a private area. So for now, not showing my gardens only on You tube.

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
          +12,667
          Do you need lights? I haven't come in from the garden until 9PM the last couple of nights, and it was light enough to be working outside ...

Otherwise I'm sure your sister will know how to encourage them all to leave when it gets dark! and perhaps your Mum could help her?!!

Hope it goes well, you have good weather, and the local festival is a great success

• Like Like x 1
          • shiney

Ratings:
            +118,361
            Melinda,

Good luck tomorrow night :dbgrtmb:. I'm sure it will go brilliantly :yahoo:.

We've got most things as ready as possible for the weekend but the wind has been causing havoc. Tables and chairs arrive tomorrow morning, cakes will be turning up throughout the day so we'll have to attempt not to be distracted from getting things in place.

We'll have to set up some tables to take the 1,000 + plants for sale, bookstall, honey and bear sale, raffle and entry area. Set up the area for the musicians and therapists (head massage and Reiki) and get the summerhouse ready as a rest area for the helpers.

On my way home from my bridge club at 11.30 Friday night I shall have to remember to stop off at the village hall and pick up two tea urns and some tea pots and when I get home I shall make 5 loaves of sandwiches for the helpers to have during their break - plus the odd sandwich for the GC'ers that will be coming along.

• Like Like x 1