Who or what is nibbling their way round my garden?

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by 2nd_bassoon, Mar 31, 2020.

1. 2nd_bassoon

2nd_bassoon Super Gardener

Vet
    Ratings:
    +1,840
    I've noticed over the last week that lots of my plants are looking distinctly nibbled, and I don't remember so many plants being so widely affected in previous years. I've not seen any slugs or slug trails (and we have a family of slow worms under the cold frame who usually help out with that side of things!). I'm not even sure if it's the same problem all round or a different one on different plants!

My red cabbage seedlings - these were in the house in the propagator so someone's being very sneaky?!

2020-03-31 14.29.40.jpg

2020-03-31 14.30.03.jpg

And then outside, one of the clematis:

2020-03-31 14.33.02.jpg

2020-03-31 14.32.56.jpg

...the hellebores...

2020-03-31 14.40.55.jpg

2020-03-31 14.40.59.jpg

...and the daphne:

2020-03-31 14.41.09.jpg

Any thoughts on who the culprit(s?) might be?

Attached Files:

2. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,996
    Red cabbage seedlings - turn that cell tray upside down and check for a slug/snail lurking underneath.

You also have aphids on them (pic 2).

• Like Like x 1
    • 2nd_bassoon

2nd_bassoon Super Gardener

Vet
      Ratings:
      +1,840
      Thanks @Scrungee - I'd looked for slugs in the compost but not underneath the pot :rolleyespink: :wallbanging: And I wasn't sure if the aphids could have caused the completely chomped seedling before moving onto it's neighbour - they've already been soapy-watered since I took the photo so hopefully that will sort them out :biggrin:

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
      +28,996
      Underneath cell trays, in the cracks between cells, especially if sitting in seed trays, is a favourite place for slugs to hide.

Aphids wont cause such extensive damage, but they'll help finish off seedlings weakend by gnawing slugs.

In case they're coming from further than under the plants, you may want to consider some slug pellets which will be out of reach of wildlife if used inside a greenhouse, etc.

• Agree Agree x 1