1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Who Teaches Maths To Reporters?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by shiney, Nov 23, 2012.

1. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,488
    This is a quote from the first paragraph of a news item.

Maybe maths has changed since I learnt it!!

"Last year Aldi posted a 200% increase in UK profits. The UK business made a profit after tax, of £57.8 million in 2011, having made a loss of £56 million in the previous year."

How does a 200% increase in a negative number become a positive number? If they had actually made a £10 million profit in the previous year a 200% profit wouldn't make it £57 million! :doh:

• Like Like x 1
    • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
      +19,596
      It seems to me that lack of basic arithmetic skills is an increasing problem. I'd say its probably 200% worse than when it was only 10% as bad:loll:

As many know, my job is software developer (used to be called computer programmer in the olden days), and to get by, you need at least a basic grasp of mathematics sometimes. Nothing too intense, a mathematician will give us any formulae we might need for complex calculations, but just for common day to day stuff you need basic arithmetic, sometimes a bit of trigonometry and basic statistics etc.

Imagine my surprise then when I heard two of my younger team mates talking about rendering an arc on screen in a particular colour, when one of them said he'd asked his mathematician mate, who'd "said somet about signs, and pies".

• Like Like x 1
      • Kleftiwallah

Kleftiwallah Gardener

Retired by circumstances.
        Ratings:
        +568
        I'd like to nail a reporter's feet to the floor! Must they always WALK while spouting off? In wet weather does it give any more credence to their report if they are standing in water? Do they jump into a fire when. . .

Cheers, Tony.

• Like Like x 2
        • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
          At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
          Ratings:
          +49,609
          The one that really grinds my gears is when they have a reporter standing outside some government building or similar, at 4am in the chucking rain to report on something that is only barely related to that particular building in the first place!

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
          +28,997
          Perhaps somebody's taken the index for 2010 as - £56m and the index for 2011 as + £57.8m and calculated the % increase =(-56 to 57.8)/(minus missing)56*100, rather than re-setting that -56 to a base index of 1 (and adjusting subsequent indices accordingly)?

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
          Ratings:
          +118,488
          Scrungee, I'm pleased you edited your post and made it more understandable :heehee: