Who's eating my honeysuckle?

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by sheppy, Sep 7, 2006.

1. sheppy

sheppy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    My little baby honeysuckle is being eaten alive....help!

I've looked under the leaves and can't find anything. The poor little thing had lots of buds on earlier in the summer, and the blighters have got those too. I want to nip it in the bud now!! I know, dreadful pun!

Can anyone help?

[​IMG]

2. jazid

jazid Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Cripes! Could be a case for the Provado if you can stomach the thought.

3. sheppy

sheppy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    If it will do the trick, I'll get a bucket load. I'm filled with irrational fury!

4. macleaf

macleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  5. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    my bugs are really posh bugs they dont like eating my honey suckle, they like eat every thing else. you've got a job on your hands SHEPPY. :D [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I would go with Jazid. Provado drench fast, and again in 6 months time. I reckon from past experience holes in the leaf, non edge, are likely to be vine weevil (the beetle not the grubs) - holes at the edge are likely catepillas or leaf cutters.

Could of course be totally wrong. :(

7. sheppy

sheppy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Been to Wilkinsons, Provado half price! Immense satisfaction drenching my plants!!! Fingers crossed!

8. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Ever wondered what else you might have killed? Like ladybirds and other good guys.

Have a look at their "Hazard Safety Sheet" from this link. http://www.bayergarden.co.uk/products/242/1

[ 09. September 2006, 04:43 PM: Message edited by: Hornbeam ]

9. DAG

DAG Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Came back off holiday to find something has been eating my horseradish!

Would this be same as above, as some are at the edges and some in the middle, does that mean 2 lots of nasties then? ;)

10. DAG

DAG Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
  11. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +49,905
    :eek: Looks like the same critter that's eating my white Brugmansia! :eek:

12. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    The thing we have to realise is that it is perfectly natural for plants to be eaten and to have holes in their leaves. They will not die because of a few holes. It only becomes a problem when there is an un-natural infestation of leaf eating critters. Such infestations are usually caused by
    1...Growing too many of the same sort of plants in the same place for too long eg brassicas

2...Using pesticides, herbicides and fertilisers that upset the natural balance and wipe out the critters that eat the leaf chomping critters

Every garden needs a few pests to provide food for the good critters and insect eating birds etc.
    Use chemicals and you will kill your garden and have no bees, butterflies or birds. Better by far to accept a few holes in your leaves [​IMG]

13. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    HB - I would agree with that with one exception, and that is the vine weevil. I am happy for the adult vine weevil to chomp my leaves, - along with of course catepillas, leaf cutter ants and bees, slugs and snails - but not happy about its off spring, who I have yet to see predated from my containers.

I have tried nematodes in the past, but without success, so Provado drench works for me in protecting my containers from those root devouring grubs. .

14. sheppy

sheppy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I know, it's a toughie, but these honeysuckles were newly planted this summer, and after growing so well and amassing a multitude of buds, it took only a couple of days for the buds to be stalks and the leaves be in tatters. I'm afraid my fury got the better of me, but if there is a friendlier way of getting rid of these bugs next time, then please Hornbeam, let me know!!

15. DAG

DAG Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hornbeam: But I have been a very good boy, honest! ;)

Only one plant in a pot, and no pesticides, herbicides or fertilizers!

Don't know what to do for the best? ;)