1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Who's munching my Canna Lillies ?

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by clarky, Jun 9, 2005.

1. clarky

clarky Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah some little beastie has been munched through our Cannas in the greenhouse. Left 10mm holes across the leaves all the way across so the leaves almost snap off in half. They also had a good munch of the new shoots before they unfurled ?

Anyone deal with something similar ? No sign of caterpillars or other larvae.

2. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    Slugs, snails,Mice even.?
    Alway have a little sprinkling of pellets and a little "nipper" ready to snap an hello/goodbye ;)

3. Toptaff

Toptaff Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Could be earwigs....they eat holes in my dahlias...or they would,if I didn't deter the little swines. I stick canes in near my plants & wedge an old plant pot stuffed with newspaper ,upside down on top of the cane. Earwigs being basically nocturnal munchers climb the cane & seek sanctury by nestling in the newspaper--which I take out & I cremate them in a tin bucket.( hah!..take that!)I also smear a collar of vaseline around the main stem as a barrier.
    Mint beetles( little iridescent green ones) also eat holes in leaves.

4. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Clarky
    D'you mean Canna's or Calla lilies?