1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Why are my nasturtiums growing so slowly (if at all)?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by TheMadHedger, May 28, 2016.

1. TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    Before I hardened them off a few weeks ago my nasturtium seedlings were about 4 to 5 inches tall. Since hardening them off (and now that they are planted outside), they are still the same height and the leaves are still about the same size.

In short, even though they look healthy enough, their growth appears to have ceased for the past 2 or 3 weeks.

They were growing fast indoors, perhaps the weather just hasn't been warm enough for them?

They are planted in a fairly clay-like soil, so maybe they just don't like the soil? I've no idea how acid or otherwise it is.

• Like Like x 1
    • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +31,885
      I have never "hardened off" nasturtiums, I've always direct sown. Even then, sometimes they can be slow to get going.

Be patient with them, I'm sure they are fine :thumbsup:

• TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
      +226
      Okay, will try and be more patient. Just wanted to be sure that they weren't missing something, or had too much of something (nutrients for example). :)

• "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +31,885
      If they have too many nutrients you will get a lot of leaf growth and few flowers; it shouldn't alter the speed they grow

• TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
      +226
    • Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Hi MadHedger,

I put mine outside about a fortnight ago ( still I their pots, I haven't planted them out ), and mine have stalled s little bit as well. I just think they need a little time to acclimatise to the cooler nights and being outside.

PS.... Never feed Nasturtiums or put them into a rich compost/soil. They just grow bigger and bigger with few or no flowers.

• TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
      +226
      Thank you, I hope that yours are okay after a while.

Noted regarding the lack of feeding - I'll avoid that then. :)