Why are my Self Sown Annuals so big?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Kristen, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    So ... last year I grew 4 or 5 different varieties of Amaranthus. They grew to knee high or a bit taller, and put on a good display, and I was happy with them. I grew them lovingly, started off early in a propagator, pricked out to small cells and then 9cm pots before them being planted out 1st week of June.

I didn't bother with any this year, but several self-sown planted started appearing - the seedlings during June and "plants" weren't really apparent until July. They are MONSTERS ... comfortably waist high, some chest high.

Why did I bother to grow them lovingly, rather than just "chuck seed on the deck"?

and conversely "What did I do wrong, not do right, last year that would have got me nice big plants?"

I wondered if the roots were constrained in the pots, and the planting hole [or the pseudo-barrier between border's-clay and pot's-MPC] didn't encourage them to spread their roots?

Or they got a check on planting out which, growing in-situ, they didn't suffer?

Perhaps more fertiliser on greenhouse-raised planted is necessary (to encourage roots to venture-forth)?

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +45,627
    I've got the same happening in a pot that had an overwintered dahlia that never sprouted. A couple of self seeded Amaranthus appeared although I didn't recognise them at first because they have lovely variagated foliage (much better and stronger than the "Joseph's Coat" I've loving nurtured from seed this spring). I left them in the pot loath to throw out as I wondered what they were, then last weekend the red flowers appeared, they are now pride of place in my main flower border and hopefully will keep going till the first frost.

In a similar vein, this year for the first time I've grown Cerinthe. When I thinned out the seedlings in March I shoved a few runts in the ground without hardening off or any other care. These neglected seedlings have overtaken and outshone my carefully selected few I grew on in the greenhouse, then properly hardened off and lovingly watered and fed.

So I don't think it's root growth - as my self sown Amaranthus were in very dry pots, I hadn't bothered watering them until last weekend.

Just checking the RHS site and they reckon Amaranthus are spreading annuals or short-lived perennials and should be sown in-situ mid-spring, so maybe they don't appreciated the trauma of being transplanted .

• Like Like x 1
    • Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Do you think we can sometimes nurture our plants too much? I'm always in trouble from my Dad as he tells me to "leave well alone , you're making them lazy,let them struggle and they'll prove their worth".I am slowly coming round to the fact that he does have a point,obviously some plants do need a helping hand but to quote my old Dad again " when was the last time you saw a parent plant potting on it's seedlings into different sized pots ?" just a thought:dbgrtmb:

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,667
        Next time he tries you on that one tell him that nature doesn't do the ""Modified Lorette" method of pruning Apples, but that definitely makes a difference!

• Like Like x 1
        • Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +3,089
          Surely you are not complaining, are you? Enjoy it while it lasts! There's plenty that will do nothing without endless, labour-intensive cossetting.

I think it's down to the perfect opportunities available for root growth to self-seeders, from the moment of germination.

Also, no transplanting shock.

Plus, optimum timing with relation to temperature, as they are picking their own moment.

• Agree Agree x 2
          • Like Like x 1
          • Val..

Val.. Confessed snail lover

Retired
            Ratings:
            +4,951
            Mother Nature always does it better than us!!! :doh: which can be just a little bit annoying at times!! :biggrin:

Val

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
            +12,667
            Only in the sense that I would like to reliably emulate & repeat it in future years :)

• Agree Agree x 1
            • Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
              +0
              If I knew what that meant I'd probably agree Kristen:biggrin:

• Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
              At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
              Ratings:
              +48,831
              I reckon your Dad has a very valid point - - I have nasturtiums, self seeded, that are positively thriving at the foot of some of my trees, whereas last year when they were deliberately planted and watered etc - nothing; I even have one in one of the borders that has leaves the size of dinner plates, despite there never having been a nasturtium anywhere near.

Another example is a dahlia tuber that hadn't shown this year, so I oiked it complete with the compost that it was in, into one of the blue barrels that I wasn't using (basically, a dumping area for waste compost until I got round to dealing with it); shortly after, the dahlia showed its head, so I left it to see what came of it - - its the best dahlia I have had this year!

• Like Like x 1
              • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                Ratings:
                +84,334
                Kristen, are the plants you have this year exactly the same as last year regarding flower leaf colour etc.
                Is it just a matter of size.
                I was once told when growing mixed flower seeds to always look after the weaker seedlings as they will most likely have the better flower colour.

Yes the stronger ones look good also, and these are the ones most likely to naturalise, so over a few generations the plant reverts to the species, but grows much better than the highly bred seed from the packet.

Also very often we do tend to grow HHAs too early, so they do suffer a check when planting out as you say.

• Agree Agree x 1
                • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +23,089
                  Unless your three metres tall they're tiddlers!!!:snork: I grew them a few times. Sown in pots in April and planted out mid to late June once the Tulips had died back. I only watered them in situ when the foliage wilted.

The best and strongest Cerinthe germinate in the autumn from dropped seed and bloom in the spring. The colour of these ones is out of this world!

Yup! Learnt that the hard way.

• noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +13,960
                  The self-sowing has been a revelation here! Ricinus that I used to cosset does perfectly well from fallen seed. Likewise Mirabilis jalapa and Amaranthus. The proof of the 'undisturbed roots ' theory was self-sown tomatoes....tried to yank out some self-sets on the veggie plot and simply couldn't! Yet at the end of the season, planted-out plants come out with hardly a root to resist. Don't get me started on Cerinthe:gaah::biggrin:

• Informative Informative x 1
                  • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +23,089
                    Care to expand!!??

• noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +13,960
                    :biggrin: I'll take a photo of the drive bed tomorrow, just for you! It's a good job that they're easy to pull out!!

• Like Like x 1
                    • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +23,089
                      Ah...........summer grown ones!