1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Why are rose suckers a problem?

Discussion in 'Roses' started by Soot, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Soot

Soot Gardener

Ratings:
    +11
    A gardening friend viewed my garden this weekend and informed me my bush rose (not sure of the type) had a sucker that has erupted about 2ft from the rose and standing quite tall compared to the bush. Now this has some stunning roses on it, slightly different shade from the bush -- is it really a big problem? Can't I just keep the area well fertilised so they both thrive or should it be killed off :(
    The rose bush is an older one that I salvaged after moving in - it's been uprooted and replanted several times, poor thing and got a very hard prune in the spring. We thought it was dead, but it picked up and is absolutely beautiful and healthy.

2. Soot

Soot Gardener

Ratings:
    +11
    Sorry adding to my post - from reading the Internet I think she might have been wrong that his branch is a sucker as they shouldn't bloom? I haven't dug down to see where it's coming from, is it possible that a piece could have broken off underground and is now starting to grow on its own? Or maybe did I bury it too deep and a branch has managed to creep out by 2ft?

3. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,818
    Good evening Soot my friend while most of the hybrid teas and floribundas have just 5 leaves many of the roses belonging to the other groups have 7, 9 or even more leaflets. There are no hard and fast rules to distinguish a sucker but as a generalisation the suckers have 7 leaflets and are a rather pale green as are the stems which are often smooth with few thorns. If they flower they will have 5 petals and will be a very pale blush white. Suckers come only from the rootstock on which the garden rose is budded and so will only come from below the bud union. The young growth from some roses can be very vigorous and look out of character and rather sucker-like, so do check carefully before pulling these off otherwise you may well ruin the plant.

Tackle each sucker as you find it and this will make removal very easy. If you trace the sucker back to the root, you can then simply pull it off.
    With newly planted roses you will have to put your foot on the base of the plant and then pull the sucker off. It is better to pull the offending stem off rather than cutting because it will not grow back. If you cut it, it will most likely come back. Once the sucker is removed you can then put the soil back and heel in.:)
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Soot

Soot Gardener

Ratings:
      +11
      Thanks wiseoldowl, very helpful!

... I will investigate by the light of day when I get a chance.
      The flower on my potential sucker is bright yellow - identical to the flowers on the bush itself ... It's just that the shoot is 2ft away from the bush!