1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Why can we never seem to cope?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Fat Controller, Jul 3, 2018.

1. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +49,598
    What has happened to our services and infrastructure? As we all know, we are in the midst of a spell of warm to hot weather, and there seems to have been an almost endless stream of stuff on the news about melting roads, buckling railways and bridges, wildfires and now it is water shortages and hosepipe bans (although, isn't it interesting that there seems to be no shortage of bottled water to sell???); we have only had two, maybe three weeks of warm weather for goodness sake!

Surely our resources should be able to stand up to a bit more than a few weeks of warm weather? It's not as though we cope well with the wind, rain or snow either, so it clearly isn't the case that we are geared up for one type of weather and not another. Rather than faffing about trying to devise nanny strategies to make us eat less chocolate, should our government not be ensuring that we have stable water supplies, and transport infrastructure that is fit for purpose?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +5,414
      Maybe if we stopped building houses the water and electricity etc would last longer.

G.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
        At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
        Ratings:
        +49,598
        Or maybe we should have expanded the infrastructure at the same time as building more houses?

• Agree Agree x 2
        • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
          Ratings:
          +31,936
          Good job it's not snowing as well !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Then there's the co2 shortage

• Agree Agree x 2
          • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
            Ratings:
            +85,969
            Personally I think we just like to turn a drama into crisis, or atleast the media do.

Must admit I've never understood buckled rail lines, wrong type of snow, leaves on the line, iced up points.
            Rail travel is fraught with problems, personally I dont think railways work, unless they are massively subsidised.
            If you look at it, the roads are no better, they spend years "upgrading", (I use that word with some scepticism) , causing traffic chaos in the process, by the time they have finished the traffic then flows faster to the next bottle neck.
            We need more new roads instead of tinkering with the old ones.

We also have "smart" motorways, basically, dangerous and slow, motorways.