1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Why do you earth up potatoes

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Burtons, May 13, 2011.

1. Burtons

Burtons Apprentice Gardener

admin
    Ratings:
    +0
    My potatoes seem to be growing well, Charlottes, I have earthed them up a couple of times. Can you tell me why we do this and when to stop please?

2. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Earthing up increases the length of the stem under the ground and it's the underground stem that produces the potatos. The end result is a bigger crop.
    Wait until the plants are about 10cm tall and then earth up to almost cover them. You can do this about three times at intervals of two or three weeks.

3. Burtons

Burtons Apprentice Gardener

admin
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Dave, I better do them again tomorrow then. Lin

4. Lad

Lad Gardener

Senior Consultant
    Ratings:
    +46
    I agree with Dave earth up as much as you like but once flowering stop then. It also stops spudgums going green and giving you belly ache.

5. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Stem produces the potatoess
    Potatoes that grow on the surface turn green, so increasing the soil depth helps

as has been said.

Earth up and cover the leaves is frost is forecast, as that will kill the tops of the plant and set it back

I earth up until I can't get any more soil banked up. For me that's long before they start flowering.

I only earth up when frost is forecast - so I let the plant grow, as much as possible, without earthing up. My First Earlies have already been earthed up as much as is possible. The maincrop are barely poking through the ground, they will be fully earthed up by around 1st June.

Even with earthing up I find that potatoes still form on the surface, and go green, so after they are fully earthed up I put down a thick layer of grass clippings. I do this before the plants are so big I can't get between the rows. It needs to be a thick layer because it will be at least a month later before the spuds are harvested, and the grass clippings will shrink down in that time. Don't use grass clippings from a lawn treated with selective weed killer