Why have my peas failed? :(

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by BastLoki, May 21, 2013.

1. BastLoki

BastLoki Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Alright, up until now, peas have been my easiest crop - they're not too fussy, and they usually grow well in my garden wherever I plant the seeds.

However, for some reason this year both my peas and sweet peas have refused to sprout at all! I don't think I've done any different than I do every year, including changing the spot where I grow them each time.

Are there any common reasons as to why my sweet peas (which I soaked overnight before planting) and my green peas have refused to grow, while my mangetout - which is the obelisk right next to the green peas - has been doing just fine? :/

I'm in West Yorkshire, growing on raised beds full of used compost, recently fertilized before I got to planting. The crop I had in that area last year was radishes, beetroot, and parsnips, and I did turn the soil very well before I started with the peas.

Thankyou very much!

(Oh, and while I'm at it, is it too late to sow beans? I wanted to do some this year but I got a bit behind schedule ^^;;;; )

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +45,617
    Mice are the main culprit in my garden, I have to sow peas in pots then transfer to the soil when they are big enough. I don't know about sweet peas but i expect the same thing has happened.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
      Ratings:
      +3,698
      I have red that soaking peas in Parrafin helps deter mice...but I've never fancied that so not tried it. I either grow mine in modules as John (JWK) does or in lengths of guttering which I then suspend from the greenhouse/polytunnel roof which defeats the mice. Like this.

[​IMG]

Steve...:)

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +3,089
        Mice, or rot from sowing in too wet and cold soil?

• Like Like x 1
        • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
          +28,996
          Mice eat sweet peas seeds - I know all about what mice will eat having a greenhouse next to a hen run which attracts the little pests.

• Like Like x 1
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • BastLoki

BastLoki Gardener

Ratings:
            +5
            ...huh, okay. That seems odd to me though, since like I said my mangetout are fine and they're right next to the peas - why would the mice take the green pea and leave the red ones? (I'm growing mangetout 'Shiraz' which is a dark purple/red pod)

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
            +28,996
            I sow my peas in modules and place them on high level polytunnel shelving (where it's warmest) to germinate and staple bands of polythene dpm wrapped around the vertical supports so mice can't climb up them.

pea modules.jpg

Time to get those planted out this week.

Were they sown at different times or possibly one variety takes longer to germinate, although mice can still attack the vestiges of seed under the plants, biting through the stems in the process and killing it. Mice also do that with the remains of runner bean cotyledons below ground, killing the plants, but as french bean cotyledons form the first leaves they aren't vulnerable to mouse attack after they've formed their first leaves.

• Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
            At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
            Ratings:
            +48,819
            What sort of spacing should peas and broad beans be planted out at?