Why won't my Jasmine flower?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Sian in Belgium, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +9,232
    I have a Jasmine officinale growing in a large tall pot, against the west side of our house.
    It has been there for about 3-4 years now. The pot is about 3' tall, and 12" across at the top. I know it's not ideal growing climbers in pots, but there is no soil, and the house wall is bare. The brickwork is about 10' high, so you can see that the plant is happy to grow quite tall, and is spreading out as well.
    IMG_3278.JPG
    Growing to the right = growing towards the south, but it seems happy enough if I train it to the left too... you can't see in the photo clearly, but the wall sets back about 18-20" where the pot is, so the roots are not getting sun-baked. I water it at least every 2 days in dry spells, giving it a generous dousing.

So, it's happy, growing, and green - but not a flower to be seen? (I had the same problem with my last Jasmine. It waited until I sold my flat, then grew up to the 1st floor balcony, and flowered profusely!)

What am I doing wrong?

• Like Like x 1
    • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,486
      Hiya Sian
      You are right, not ideal for growing in pots but I would apply a tomato feed. I would do this twice a week for a few weeks.
      I find applying a high potash feed on stubborn refusing to flower well or at all works very well. For example, a shy flowering astrantia that has responded with lots of flowers :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +31,885
        So glad you asked that question @Sian in Belgium - I bought a jasmine officinale last year and still, no flowers. By the same token, I bought a yellow summer flowering one (no, not the winter flowering one) and it not only flowered last year (its first year!) but is going great guns this year too. Just *no* gorgeous white, flowering jasmine :doh:

I'll have a go at feeding it tomato feed as per @Verdun 's instructions and hope to report back some kind of positive :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 3
        • Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +9,232
          About to go out and be liberal with my tomato feed. Hubby just commented that although I can grow most things, I tend to be a little shy with the feeding. He was eyeing up my freshly baked cookie at the time though...:th scifD36:

• Funny Funny x 2
          • Verdun

Ratings:
            +17,486
            Not too generous with the tomato feed Sian......twice a week though.
            Did you say "freshly baked cookie"? .......:hapydancsmil:

• Funny Funny x 1
            • Gretzky

Gretzky Gardener

Protective Coatings Inspector
              Ratings:
              +278
              Would this be the same principle for Lonicera Japonica?

I have had this honeysuckle for 3 or 4 years and is about 4-5 feet tall, bur has never flowered. I have to admit I seldom feed it.

• Verdun

Ratings:
              +17,486
              Gretzky, only 4 or 5 feet tall? It should be 12 feet if you havent pruned it. Or have you pruned it? :)
              A few things.....do you water it? Is the soil good and moist there or is it dry and impoverished? Ok, you say you don't feed it but did you just pop it into the soil or did you add compost and fertiliser at planting time?
              I think your reply will give more than a clue as to why your honeysuckle isnt flowering Gretzky. Plants are like children......they need attention :smile:

• Like Like x 1
              • Gretzky

Gretzky Gardener

Ratings:
                +278
                Hi Verdun. It`s in a 20" pot and never been pruned. It goes up a trellis out the back which is kinda north facing. It gets the a/noon and evening sun (when we get it :))
                The soil`s never dry and has a bark mulch, watered regularly with rain water until it runs out, then quite soft tap water.
                It had a bad year last year. It was growing well then basically checked/stopped and came back nicely this year.

• Verdun

Ratings:
                +17,486
                It wont really like being in a pot at all Gretzky. However, I would feed it with a tomato feed once a week now and swap that mulch or mix into it some dried manure. Honeysuckles are greedy.
                Ideally get it into the ground but at least get some goodness into the pot :)

• Like Like x 1
                • Gretzky

Gretzky Gardener

Ratings:
                  +278
                  Thanks again Verdun and apologies to the original poster for hi-jacking the thread.

I had a close look just now and can see it`s needing fed so will give some tomato feed when the rain goes off. Not possible to go in the ground but I can pot it up. Can I still do it this year? I guess so.
                  Surprise surprise. 2 flower heads have appeared :) At least I think they are.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • Verdun

Ratings:
                    +17,486
                    Yes Gretzky,
                    I just magicked those flowers for you as an encouragement :heehee:
                    Repot in autumn :)

• Funny Funny x 1
                      Last edited: Aug 1, 2017