1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

WHY?

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Mike Allen, Nov 16, 2020.

1. Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
    Ratings:
    +6,097
    Thank you Parrot. I truly like and agree with your comment. Thank you.

• Like Like x 3
    • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Living in hope of world wide peace.
      Ratings:
      +54,374
      A belated inherited gene from my Mum.

Enjoyment and escapism from world wide problems.

Can't beat harvesting freshly picked fruit, veg, herbs that have the added bonus of definitely being free from chemicals/ pesticides.

The pure joy of seeing beautiful blooms and the garden springing back to life in an array of dazzling ( or seemingly so) colour after the dark grey days of winter.The pride that goes with it knowing these were the seeds you had sown earlier.

My need to nurture........now our nest is empty!!:biggrin:

Because I simply love it!!!:dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 6
      • Agree Agree x 3
      • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
        Ratings:
        +21,270
        There you go @Mike Allen the answer, in various forms, is because we enjoy it and it makes us feel better.

• Like Like x 4
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +2,986
          Out of interest when we began growing our own we decided that it would be wise to keep a record. So we set up a theoretical account. Anything bought for use in the garden from big things like a greenhouse down to packets of seeds were entered as Debits. Anything brought into the house from the garden was credited with the amount it would have cost to buy similar items.
          Obviously in the beginning, at the end of the year, the account was very much in the red. The deficit was carried over to the next year. However as time went on and the amount spent on major acquisitions grew less and the produce increased, the 'loss' grew smaller until in a fairly short time it changed into a profit.
          We did not add anything for my labour in producing the food nor did we deduct anything for the cost of going to the shops to buy so it was not a real indication, but it did serve a purpose in that the garden did pay for itself eventually.

• Like Like x 4
          • Informative Informative x 3