1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Wild campanulas?

Discussion in 'Herbs and Wildflowers' started by SimonZ, Aug 21, 2020.

1. SimonZ

SimonZ Gardener

Ratings:
    +746
    Somewhat surprised to see what I can only assume to be a wild species of campanula in the Calder valley today. They were there a few weeks ago and today were higher in number. I can usually grow campanula well at home and seeing these suggests there is something in the local soils they must like! The wind and rain were a bit too strong to get a good close pic, they were swaying too much in the breeze, with the second pic I've overdone it a bit on the dark blue when editing, and the third has come out a bit paler than they were, but I'd be interested if anyone could a. confirm they are campanulas, and b. suggest anything in terms of species?

DSCF3948.JPG DSCF3948.JPG DSCF3949.JPG .

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
    • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
      Ratings:
      +6,097
      Such delicate flowers. In the wild. These little beauties are known as harebells. Campanula rotundifolia.
      Undoubtedly many folk have been tempted to extract them fom the native home. Please don't. They like the common Bluebell, will literally die in your arms. Interestingly the seed will germinate, but sadly attempts to prick out will cause their demise. Collect seed and seed purchased from reputable suppliers will give you a good germination rate but. It is considered that this beauty prefers to be left alone in amongst natural growing grasses etc.

• Like Like x 4
        Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
      • Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
        +7,684
        Beautifully written, @Mike Allen :)

Harebell seeds are widely available to buy. They are sold out here but the website is good.

In Finnish we call it "Kitten's bell" and tell young children that if they gently put a bell close to their ear, they may hear it chiming. It's only audible to children. I remember my (nowadays adult) daughter being delighted in listening to the bells when she was 2 :)

• Like Like x 2
        • Friendly Friendly x 2
        • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +52,610
          I've had some growing in my garden but they haven't appeared this year.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
          • SimonZ

SimonZ Gardener

Ratings:
            +746
            Many thanks Mike!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
            • JR

JR Chilled Gardener

Retired oil magnate
              Ratings:
              +2,381
              As you've mentioned 'delicate' common blue bells Mike, i have always been puzzled (and delighted) with mine.
              I've never planted ANY but there are swathes of them in the shaded areas of my garden.
              There is also 'white bells' within them too (superb!)
              I can only think that because this area is adjacent to ancient woods where bluebells are numerous, that they have been brought by the fairies or other woodland animals.
              The ground here is free draining on cotswold hills, so i guess it's ideal for them.
              The scent in April is a very welcome one.

• Like Like x 2