1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Wild cherry tree leaf disease?

Discussion in 'Trees' started by horhew, Apr 25, 2020.

1. horhew

horhew Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I moved to a new place where I have a wild cherry tree (I'm almost certain it is a wild cherry, but I am an absolute beginner, so there's always a chance I am wrong) that exhibits some leaf problem which I can't diagnose precisely, I looked at various diseases but I can't tell for sure what this could be. And I thought maybe someone could help with a diagnosis? The tree looks pretty healthy overall to me and it I hope to have observed this problem early enough to be able to rectify it... somehow. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
    George

20200425_155301.jpg 20200425_155329.jpg 20200425_155346.jpg

2. TreeTreeTree

TreeTreeTree I know sh!t about trees

Ratings:
    +247
    Hi horhew

A number of biotic and abiotic factors can cause leaf discolouration in trees, and without seeing the tree and site in person it's hard to make a sound judgement. From looking at the photos you provided it looks to me that your tree is showing symptoms of interveinal chlorosis, probably due to either a mineral deficiency, or too much lime in the soil. This is mostly caused by the tree being unsuitable for your soil type; aka 'wrong tree, wrong place'. Symptoms intensify during hot, dry summers, so this Spring's warm weather may have helped it develop sooner.

It can be remedied by adding lime-free organic mulch to the tree, but tbh, it's usually better to remove the tree and replace with a more suitable species.