1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Wild flower seed recommendations

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by HB66, Apr 30, 2022.

1. HB66

HB66 Apprentice Gardener

Semi-retired
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi I am looking for advice what to do with a blank canvas or wilderness of a garden depending how you look at it! We’ve just cleared a load of willows, brambles and nettles from our previously unused section of garden. It’s actually a railway embankment so not much soil. There is a very steep slope and flat section of around 30 feet long each by about 40 feet wide. I would like to grow wild flowers on the slope but need advice where to buy enough seed and the right type. I’m a very novice gardener!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Stu66

Stu66 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +6
      I'm a complete novice too but here's what I would do with it. I would grow lots of veg, potatoes carrots etc, the works. Depending if you have enough soil that is
      Homegrown veg has the best taste on earth :smile:
      Good luck

• NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
      Ratings:
      +21,332
      @HB66 there are a lot of places for wildflower seed wildflower seed at DuckDuckGo a lot of these sell specific mixes for different soilt types and conditions. You could talk to Lancashire Wildlife Trust | Your Local Conservation Charity for their thoughts as there is a drive to grow wildflowers from local areas. Given the steepness of that bank you want as low maintenance as possible.
      As for the rest of it I would say go and look at local gardens open and but also over the fence as you walk by; note what ideas and plants you like and incorporate these into your design. Not all will work, but at the end of the day it will be your garden.

• Like Like x 1