1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Solved Wild flower?

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by hailbopp, Jun 25, 2021.

1. hailbopp

hailbopp Gardener

Ratings:
    +709
    I as given some pots of plants recently and in amongst them were some of these. 479DBD35-B8BB-4680-A128-21B99C7188F4.jpeg
    The flower stalks are about 15 inches tall and I expect the leaves are this brownish colour due to being in a pot for a long long time. It’s quite pretty but no idea what it is altho sure I have seen it before somewhere. It does not grow wild in my garden.

2. Silver surfer

Silver surfer PLANTAHOLIC

Semi retired amateur plantaholic gardener
    Ratings:
    +3,269
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
      Ratings:
      +89,867
      Good morning @Silver surfer and many thanks for all your excellent I.D.s much appreciated my friend:smile::thanks:

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • hailbopp

hailbopp Gardener

Ratings:
        +709
        :wow: That was incredibly fast @Silver surfer , many thanks.I checked the useful link and can understand how it has survived in a very gritty growing medium in a pot. I suppose it would have zero chance of surviving in my not the driest Scottish garden? The description of the flowers looking like tiny Snapdragon blooms is very accurate. I already have to lift and store over winter the clumps of Verbena Bonariensis, do you think this would this work with the Linaria as if I can increase the amount ( can you increase it with cuttings or only seed?)I have it would make a pretty addition to my herbaceous borders.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Silver surfer

Silver surfer PLANTAHOLIC

Semi retired amateur plantaholic gardener
          Ratings:
          +3,269
          Where in Scotland? Big place
          It does very well here in Perthshire... in ordinary garden soil.
          Seeds around and has survived the last few cold winters.
          Never heard of it growing from cutting.
          It seeds everywhere and just appears by magic.
          Love it. LINARIA  PURPUREA  CANON  WENT 23-07-2019 14-17-51.JPG LINARIA  PURPUREA  CANON  WENT 23-07-2019 14-18-20.JPG LINARIA  PURPUREA 12-Jul-16 8-12-21 AM.JPG LINARIA  PURPUREA 12-Jul-16 8-12-53 AM.JPG

• Like Like x 2
          • hailbopp

hailbopp Gardener

Ratings:
            +709
            Yes you are right @Silver surfer :) we do live on a fair size of land mass. Scotland varies considerably depending on location as you will know.
            I live on the east (drier)like yourself, side of Scotland not far from Edinburgh but at about 350 ft. I would say a similar climate to yourself so all bodes well. I will let the other stems flower and set seed then maybe scatter it in dry cracks on the paths. I have no objection to some plants self seeding into the paths, I actually quite like it. I have a fair amount of Valerian doing just that and I think they like dry so will try in that area. Thank you for you knowledge. Their flowers are almost orchid like. The pink is very pretty too.