1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Wild flowers.

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Retired, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Retired

Retired Some people are so poor all they have is money

Retired.
    Ratings:
    +5,791
    • Like Like x 5
    • Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
      Ratings:
      +14,125
      Ithink a lot of local authorities are turning to this idea to save on grass mowing..

• Like Like x 2
      • Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
        +7,681
        Not up here I'm happy to say, the meadow bits are carefully shaped and the grass is moved around the bits. I think the grass movers are quite taken in with the idea as the meadow islands with the surrounding mown lawn are impeccable. We even have small signs showing what plants are grown there and why the council is creating these wild patches instead of having a neat end to end lawn. :)

Whatever can be said about North Tyneside Council, they have at least got the wildlife friendly meadow planting more or less right. Well done. :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 1
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • Retired

Retired Some people are so poor all they have is money

Retired.
          Ratings:
          +5,791
          Hi,

A few years ago Bron and I were driving through a large council estate in Sheffield on the way to Meadowhall; the estate I'll politely call "rough" a number of the council houses had been demolished and each site cleared; the council had seeded these cleared sites with wild flowers and they looked absolutely gorgeous adding a great deal of pleasure in an otherwise uninteresting place; this impressed us so much hence we now have our own small wild flower meadow.

I'm unsure if councils have adopted wild flowers in place of grass to save on grass cutting; won't these wild flowers need some tending at the end of the season?

I've also noticed where previously roadside verges used to be fully cut back some are now trimmed about a mower width from the road leaving the rest natural; I'm pleased to see this.

Kind regards, Colin.

• Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
          Ratings:
          +14,125
          Ours do a big cut at the end of the season after the flowers have seeded and pick up all the p,ant degree and take away and it is working well.. 3rd year on the trial areas so they want to expand it.. They say... Much cheaper to do one cut a year and clear all arisings..

• Informative Informative x 1