1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

wildflower meadow

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by lifeflower, Mar 2, 2015.

1. lifeflower

lifeflower Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Am going to try and sow a wildflower meadow at the back of the garden this spring. Just thought I'd run it past all you experts on here. The area was grass but I would say very poor in nutrients. I stripped off the turf and have just dumped a load of old sand/subsoil from beneath an old patio on top of the ground. Am thinking this will create quite a good base as it will be very nutrient poor.

Is there anything else I should do other than to sow the seeds in a few weeks time? Was thinking of getting mixed wildflower seeds as I'm not sure what is going to do well. The soil is quite heavy clay below so probably not ideal for poppies, cornflowers etc. Any species I should particularly go for?

many thanks!